Pulse coral question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pioneer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I put in a new pulse coral about 3 days ago and on the face of it it looks very healthy. It grows very nicely during the day (lights on), and retracts during the night. The only problem is that it does not pulse. It is near the top of the tank in relatively good flow.
All water paramters are good as the rest of my corals and fish are doing very well. Any ideas?.

TIA

Pioneer

i wouldn't worry to much yet becuase my xenia took about 4-5 days before it started to pulse. and once it reallygot going my emerald crab ate it. :evil:

Xenia is very picky to what the surroundings are. It likes good flow, high PH (8.2 - 8.4) and light.

My xenia pulses like crazy, but it is 8 inches below 384 watts of light.

It retracts when the lights go out, and then comes back out after a short while ans pulses in the dark... I was told tht if it is pulsing in the dark, it is happy with it's habitat. When I take cuttings, it takes 4 to 5 days for it to start pulsing again..

This is my Xenia:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=488&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

Thanks for the help, the xenia is near the top of the tank in good flow and about 10 inches from 300 watts of halide. During the day sometimes it is able to stretch so that it nearly touches the surface. The PH is 8.1 so I am at a loss.

Is it worth moving it?.

Pioneer

some people feel the iodine levels in the tank affect xenia pulsing.
You might want to test the iodine levels in the water.

Deleted one of the posts because it was doubled.

Yes I have read about the iodine levels also. I do not check for it, so, I cannot say one way or the other.

the xenia is near the top of the tank in good flow and about 10 inches from 300 watts of halide.

How were the conditions in the place of purchase? Was it under MH there? or under PC? The light spectum could be not as intense or too intense at the moment, and it is taking time to adjust. Try moving it a little lower for a day or so, and if that doesn't do it, move it closer. How is the calcium level in the tank? do you dose with 2 part or Kalk? I know, lots of questions, but more info is good...

Hey, Pioneer,
It's possible you have a different sp. of xenia than their particular one. I have a "pulsing" xenia at the top of my tank that sounds just like yours. I have had it for several months and it has done very well (I know have three growing!), and never really pulsed. It also looks a little different than pulsing that I see actually pulsing.

OK, a few answers first.
I have not checked the iodine levels so I do not know if they are elevated, but having said tht I thought good levels of iodine were healthy for corals?.
when I bought it from my LFS it was under VHO halides about 12 inches from them and seemd OK, it was not pulsing then.
My calcium is a bit low (350) so I have started dosing with Kent Marine tech A and B supplements to try and get it back to about 400. My LFS has said this is a good reason why it does not pulse as they do stop pulsing if the calcium levels drop.

Pioneer

hmmm, I had not heard of calcium affecting their pulsing, just lack of iodine. The reason I said check, was not for elevated levels, but depleted levels.

Unfortunately I do not have an Iodine test kit so I cannot tell what the levels are.
I will go and get one, but what sort of expected levels should I be looking for?

Just noticed this morning as well that one of the stems of the coral (of which there are three) has started to go brown and this brown stem is not extending. The other two stems seem fine (although not pulsing). Any ideas?
Water tests show everything to be fine as expected, with no other signs of stress on any of the other corals or fish.

I would try moving it down a little lower in the tank, make sure there is good flow around it and check your iodine readings. As far as what is normal on that, I would base it on whatever test kit you find, use their chart.

Back
Top Bottom