Pulsing xenia coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Munchkin041804

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had this Xenia for close to 8 months and it has always done wonderful! It even split and a new piece of coral was produced. But for the past two weeks it has shrunken down and will not perk back up. Do these have a shorter life span? The tanks salinity/ph/temp has not changed.

How old are your bulbs? Even so, xenia is pretty hardy. Mine have lived (not prospered) on what little sunlight gets into the room. How are your nitrates and phosphates?

Xenia can either love a tank or hate it. I had some doing great for a long time and apparently it didn't like how often I was doing water changes and started to die back. It was back to one tiny little stock now a few months later and in a different tank it is starting to grow again.

I add iodine once a week. The place we get our water from has is in theirs, so I was afraid to add to much. I've read the tests aren't very accurate when testing the iodine.

Xenia tends to like dirty ish water ( a little phosphates here and there maybe some nitrates) it's a wired coral. Really I would just leave it alone and see, it took mine 4 months before it grew 4 new stocks

Thanks for all the input! I guess I'm going to get a kit for iodine tomorrow, any suggestions on good kits?

Finally got an iodine kit, I had to order one online. Even though I've been adding it once a week, it's not even showing up in the test, so I'm adding more and will test it again soon. I'm afraid this is going to cause more algae growth in the tank, I guess there is no getting around this......

Back
Top Bottom