Pulsing Xenia Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LKemp712

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Everything in my coral tank is thriving but my pulsing xenia. They are wilting and hardly ever active. Help?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388167410.667399.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388167434.365870.jpg

What are the current parameters of the tank, especially alk? Have you tried moving the xenia to a different spot in the tank? These guys are sometimes hit or miss, sometimes unable to grow in some systems for...whatever reason. Even the reason they pulse is sort of a mystery...where the last theory I read is that the pulsing helps with oxygenating the water around them...so I'd want to try a spot with different flow to see if it perks up.

My parameters are decent. pH: 8.0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate:0 and Ammonia: Between .25 - .50
So ammonia is a little high but I can get that under control. I was told by a guy at my LFS that xenia likes dirty water, is this true?

It might, but having an ammonia reading is concerning. I'd do a water change to get that level down ASAP. The system was cycled I'm assuming, so was there a large addition of livestock or feeding recently? Something that would overwhelm the bacteria established in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom