Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

pulsing xenia might be dying?

Can someone tell me what might be going on with my Xenia? It looks like its wilting... I moved my tank from school back home yesterday and this morning when I woke up it looked like this. What do I need to do?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120421_113744.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	90249

26 Gallon Bowfront. Clownfish. Six-line wrasse. Coral Beauty. 2 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 2 Emerald Crab. CUC. || 36 Gallon Bowfront. Snowflake Clownfish. Six-line. Watchman Goby. Harptail Blenny. 4 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 4 Emerald Crabs. CUC. || 29 Gallon. Pair of Snow Onyx Clownfish. Watchman Goby. Pistol Shrimp. Small CUC.
sstanle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If it was a move I would just do some small frequent PWC`s and make sure of pristine water conditions. If you used the same substrate then you`ll probably have an ammonia or nitrite spike.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I checked my parameters last night. Ammonia 0. Nitrites 0. pH 8.1. Nitrates 5. Our lfs said the pH might be low but this was not the case. They are still droopy and not pulsing. What else could cause them to weep?
26 Gallon Bowfront. Clownfish. Six-line wrasse. Coral Beauty. 2 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 2 Emerald Crab. CUC. || 36 Gallon Bowfront. Snowflake Clownfish. Six-line. Watchman Goby. Harptail Blenny. 4 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 4 Emerald Crabs. CUC. || 29 Gallon. Pair of Snow Onyx Clownfish. Watchman Goby. Pistol Shrimp. Small CUC.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Is this the same tank with dinos? If so,there is your answer.

Otherwise xenia is just a funny coral,they can survive in the best and worst conditions and vise verse,some folks cannot keep xenia no matter what.It's thriving i'm my current 55,but had it die in another older tank only to grow back 8 months later with no explanation.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah its the same tank. Will a 4 day black out hurt the Xenia though? We are still new to the coral business.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Coral will do fine longer than 4 days,in the ocean,they can be blocked from sunlight for quite a period of time when a tropical depression or hurricane rolls through. But don't do the blackout without elevating the ph and reducing flow as mentioned and reading up on the treatment of dinoflagellates or you won't solve the issue with just a 4 day blackout.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok we turned the lights off this morning and we are going to keep them off until thursday to turn them back on. We will post something on thursday to tell yall what has happend.

Tags
dyi, dying, xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com