purple frilly gone bad??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leftys4js

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got this purple frilly i ordered it on line got it yesterday.. today i noticed it was really shedding alot of the purple..And a VERY strong oder..My wife unpacked
it and also said it really stunk when she opened it up.i will post a before
and after pic..is it just stressed or should i start checking into the guarantee..I recently done a water test and everything else is normal
and a water change..
Before

img_358644_0_d84c5a3c2a7656e030088fbea3834140.jpg

after

img_358644_1_e1d8c27f4dabae1e29e6ebae2150adaf.jpg

no i havent done that yet ..thought id ask if it looked bad to anyone else or if it was normal to do that..

That looks like it melted! I would say something is definitely wrong there, but I'm certainly not an expert! Call the vendor. When I was dealing with LiveAquaria they had me email them a photo. Which of course was a joke because they couldn't receive the email with my picture even when I reduced it down to below 80k so I finally sent them a link to it on a web page. Maybe that would work for you. Sure was pretty.

Good luck.

Don't know if this helps, but I found this:

Purple Frilly Gorgonians normally do best when kept under strong lighting and moderate to strong water movement. Placing your gorgonian directly in the path of water motion can assist it in its monthly cleaning process. Several times a month, a Purple Frilly Gorgonian will shed an outer layer that has been secreted. Water motion will help this filmy layer to be removed; if it were to remain intact, the gorgonian could become susceptible to algal infection. Purple Frilly Gorgonians do not sting most other animals. However, many types of hard corals or anemones will sting them. Even soft corals might shed secretions that might harm a gorgonian, and colonizing corals might choke out a gorgonian. It is best to keep your gorgonian away from any corals to ensure that it does not become injured. Purple Frilly Gorgonians do not need to be fed, provided there is plenty of light for them to photosynthesize nutrients from. They have small polyps that will extend tentacles which catch material suspended in the water. Purple Frilly Gorgonians are reef safe, and, when provided with sufficient light, water motion, and good water quality, may be easily kept in many aquariums.

Here's a link:

http://www.centralpets.com/critterpages/fish/saltwater_inverts/SWI1779.shtml

leftys4js said:
My wife unpacked it
I gather by this it was shipped from an online store? If so, how was it packed and how long was it in transit? How was it acclimated?

Judging by the necrosis, it's not going to recover although I do see a few spots where the coral might be able to be fragged. Look for area's unaffected by the rot (no smell, no loose flesh) and separate them from the main colony. Looks like you'll lose most of it but it may not be a total loss.

<<fragging gorgonians>>

Contact the store you purchased it from to discuss a possible full refund. Don't tell them about the any frags you where able to save if any.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom