Purple Mushroom weirdness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Judge

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all. Mt purple mushroom is a single on a rock by himself no where near anyone that could harm him. For lack of a better way to describe it looks as if he is twisting himself in to a pinwheel! All other tank mates which include a plate (short tenacle), red shrooms, Xenia's et al are doing fine, no signs of stress. Temp is 79, sg is 1.025, Nitrites 0, Nitrates less than.05, Ammonia 0, no phosphates..yada,yada...anyway any guesses or seen before? Thanks.

how big was the tank? how often do you do a water change? do you dose anyting into your tank? do you feed your corals? one of mine did this for about a week i had low strotnium i added some in over a few days got my level up and he came right back real nice. im not saying this is your problem just teling you what happened to me. what test kits are you using?

Tank is 55g, water changes every other week, no dosing, feed invert frozen and liquid alternating. If it is strontium wouldn't it be having an effect on my other shrooms? Seachem test kits.

i have other shroms in my tank not near the one that was a problem and they were not effected. it was just what my problem was. do you have any thing in the tank that might want to bite it? what is your PH

Light has not changed. Water flow however has been changed several times trying to decide what it likes better..more flow/less flow. I have a Koralia #4 and I have tried several different angles to make him happy. On the other end of tank I have a #2 to keep the Xenia happy...he's pulsing like crazy. Soooo

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. You have been helpful. We ruled out or at least confirmed a few things so that narrows the possibilities.

YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY Devilishturtles!! Not falling off of the rock as of yet but when I went in this morning to do a vac and water change I turned his rock around and discovered it looked like he was moving. His foot has changed and there is like a string still attached to the original spot that now looks like maybe it wants to "do something". But yes, pic's are very similar so it is multiplying?? Yippee. Funky description on my part but does it make any sense? Thanks again.

Unless there is too much flow in it I would also guess it is about to multiply.

That would be my guess. I have those same mushrooms and they would always act up before multiplying. I started out with one of them and this is what I have now minus the few hundred I sold to the LFS. I think you`ll be OK.

img_875160_0_b37f3ef809fd1fce170a55736e79889e.jpg

Glad we got it figured out Judge. I got my mushrooms from Melosu58 and they are definitely the most prolific mushrooms I've ever seen!

Congrats on the multiplying. If you put them by some other rocks they'll spread quite nicely.

Best of luck. :)

I had a single polyp do the same thing (same mushroom you have) it spun like a top I thought it was from the flow but after a day or too it let go of the rock it was on and left behind several new polyps. I still have the single polyp its about 4" across when fully expanded. I've had other polyps do the same thing and I just catch them floating around the tank and put them in my frag system on some rubble and after a few days they reattach and we start again!

Nice pics btw DT!

Thanks so much for the responses. I appreciate how quickly everyone got back to me. I distress when my critters do!!! I am a true addict!

Back
Top Bottom