Purple Tang about to die why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got out of the shower needed to chew some tobacco as well <nerves> the purple tang has passed cleaning crew is fast at work. I hope it doesnt spread to the rest of the tank at leat it went fast :'( time to remove the carcus.

Is there a posibility of it spreading to other fish? Right now I thrw it outside my loss is going back to the enviorment. Something will feast of it. The only good thing that came out of this was it died before I went to bed if it rotted in there over night then problems would happen. Though my cleaning crew was fast to act I wrestled with a crab to remove it.

Keep the water quality high and ensure you do a few good sized water changes with well aged/aerated SW. Ensure all foods fed are soaked in a good marine vitamin for the next while and at least weekly there after. An otherwise healthy fish can fight this on it's own providing their immune system is up to snuff, if this is what I think...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=429622#429622

Cheers
Steve

good marine vitamin? I use flake for the 2 chromi that are in the tank now. And the manderine Well he eats the pods. I will be keeping a locse eye on them however before I venture out for new fish this weekend. I hope to God my tank doesnt fall apart. I will doing a good sized water change tommrow 15gal of 65 Thats nearly 1/4 how many of these should I do and how often?

SeriousDude5 said:
good marine vitamin? I use flake for the 2 chromi that are in the tank now. And the manderine Well he eats the pods.
Flake can be okay but it should not be the only thing you feed. Fish need a variety of foods including meats and veggies. Try to rotate in some mysis and other frozen preparations on opposite days to the flake. Use the frozen foods to soak in with Selcon, Zoecon or other marine liquid vitamin.

I will be keeping a locse eye on them however before I venture out for new fish this weekend. I hope to God my tank doesnt fall apart.
I would wait on any new additions for a few weeks just to be on the safe side. There is most likely no reason for concern but it's best to play safe. I seriously doubt this incident will be your tanks undoing :wink:

I will doing a good sized water change tommrow 15gal of 65 Thats nearly 1/4 how many of these should I do and how often?
I would do about 3-4 15-20% water changes over the next 7-10 days. Just be sure the new SW has had a good day to mix with a powerhead before use.

Cheers
Steve

Ok I but I need to get fish this weekend because company is coming over on Monday and want the tank to look its best ;-) but nothing to expensive YET perhaps a clown and a coby a combined total of under $20. I will do a water change tonight, Thur, and Sat. of 10-15 gal.

You were kidding, right? Are you really going to put something else new directly into your tank? I'd have to advise against that, especially after this last problem. Cheap or not the poor fishies deserve a chance, no?

Please hold off. Explain to your company that you're in mourning. Cover the tank with black if you need!

Sorry for the loss of your fish.

Please tell us you're kidding... that would be rough to throw something in now. What good would it be if your company to see a dead fish floating around? That's no fun. :?

Like Phyl said... hold off till you get everything under control.

wellI have a PT, and his belly is also some sort of compressed, however it cleans up all my hair algea in the tank and now ate all the food i produce for him.His belly still looks compress so i asked the lfs, they told me sometimes because during shipping the fish might scratch the belly for a long time , so it some how looks that way, but as long as providing enough food and good water quality, it will come back to normal.I had mine for about 2 weeks now, everything looks fine .
How did u acclimate your PT?

I need to get fish this weekend because company is coming over on Monday

No offense to your company, but the health and welfare of your fish is considerably more important than impressing a visitor. Patience is the watchword with any aquaria, but especially the marine variety. I rushed when I got started in the hobby, and it bit me in the butt every single time; now I know better. You must always consider the quality of life of your little finny friends first, not to mention the huge investments of time and money this hobby demands.

And a quarantine tank is just about the best investment you can make. You could stop worrying that you're getting ready to shoot yourself in the foot when you bring a new fish home.

--Aquabear

Alright maybe I came about this the wrong way I figured out why it died. The fish died because of temperature flunctuation. It is a somewhat sensitive fish. And since the temp in CT has been up in 90's the tank went from 78 to 83-84 during the day. I took the water to the LFS as well as tested it myself everything is fine. I dont have the Air Conditioner in so the tank was exposed. So it didnt die of a disease it was simply just temperatrue which I could have easily prevented but had no idea.

Back
Top Bottom