Purple Tang about to die why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a PT and I know it is going to die but I would like to know why. I have 2 green chromi and a green manderine who are doing fine. But the PT its stomach is compressed and get is gasping for air any ideas? He has been fine but I found him between to rocks today I though his haed was stuck but I guess no its much more serious. Its only a 65gal tank all paramaters are in check I knew I was going to need to take it back but now Im not going to have the chance I;ve only had it for 3 days.

Did it ever eat for you? Did it eat any greens, like nori? Might not have been healthy from the get go.

I saw it eating hair algea in the tank but it did not eat the nori. But why would it be gasping for air if its starvin? Nows its horizontal its a goner I'm gonna have to stay up till it dies dont want to rotting :'(

I'm really sorry to hear about your Tang. I don't have any answers to why he's sick, but if he's really going to die it might be kind of you to end his suffering. I know it sounds morbid, but it might be in the best interest of the fish. Once again, truly sorry.

This is gonna sound cruel but how do I kill it? Sorry not the word I should be using but I;m not cutting any cornors.

I thought I lost my white cheek, it was upside down and not moving just barely gilling for 2 days. The last day it was knocking on deaths door. I did a PWC and it came back to life the next day.......

How long had the LFS had it? Some fish just don't make the acclimation and shipping well. Probably nothing you could have done. Might have died at the LFS had you not bought it.

Sometimes there is no answer :(

Had it since Thur. or Tue. its fines are starting to turn pale. its gasping for hair its fins are barley moving sorry its like I;m naratining its death. I affraid to ge ta new fish after this especially a healthy one becyase why would the PT be dieing but other fish be fine? And whats up with the contracted belly?

Take it in a Ziploc Bag and place it in the freezer, or put some baking soda in a bowl of saltwater and place the tang in it. The CO2 will make it go to sleep. Good luck, and once again..sorry.

Thanx but Im not sure if I should kill it. Because somone said he did a PWC and it did fine. But, other fish seems fine so I think its just the tang.

Right now I only have 2 gallons ready, usually begin to fill u reserve on Thur. I can try to get things togehter quickly but the tang is in VERY BAD shape it can barely swim its lifelessly blowing around the tank with its fins extended like it does when its senses predators or something.

I have a 5 gal bucket. But not prepared. Would take about and hour to set up and evetyhing how might this help?

Actually it will take me about 10 min just figured out I can use tap water! how will this help I thought it just died.. its layed flat and floated around the tan hit the sand then swam back up. The time is close I'm affraid. Im gonna go take a shower. This may sound mean to most people but when I get out I hope it has passed.

I have been there and know what you mean. When you can't figure out whats wrong, and you come to the conclusion that it will die, you wish it would be over quick.

Sorry about the PT bud.... :(

His contracted belly is definitely a sign of hunger. My tangs get to looking like squished playdough if I neglect the nori hanging. He must not have been getting enough to eat off of the rock (maybe he was picking at but not eating the HA).

My PT fades at night. He also has a funny way of hiding under rocks when he wants to. One time he was laying horizontal under a rock. I thought it was crushed or dead and when I put my hand in he swam around just fine.

If you're sure the tank has enough water flow/aeration then try a couple of drops of cyclopeze and see if that doesn't get him swimming like mad. My tangs love cyclopeze.

Good luck with him. Maybe he isn't as close to death's door as you believe!

Why would he be gasping for air though and he seems really weak and getting pushed agaisnt things like a rock. He looked fine for the past 3 days then I ate dinner looked at him again and I saw him dong what hes doing now. And if it was hungary why would his health deteriate so fast he was swimming and happy this morning.

Back
Top Bottom