Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2004, 09:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Purple Tang is sick(With Pic)

I came home from work tonight and noticed these strange markings on my purple tang's upper body and dorsal fin. It looks like abrasions, or blisters. I over exposed this pic to make the markings stand out more. Anyone know what this is?

Old 04-12-2004, 09:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry for the double pic, if one of the mods would delete it for me i would appreciate it. FYI, I dont get confirmation for successful uploads.

Old 04-12-2004, 10:44 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Can't delete one without deleteing the other, while if shows up twice on the post...it is only saved once on the server.

As for the uploads...yeah, it's been that way for awhile, some of the hacks are not cooperating together, there is a software upgrade coming soon, and we just can't see spending the time to re hack all 6 styles before the upgrade when we very well might have to as soon as it comes out.

As for the tang...not sure, is it the same on both sides or just the one, I really don't know but from the pic it looks to be following the lateral line which might suggest HLLE, although that usually starts on the forehead.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's just one the right side of him. I dont see anything on his head. Sometimes I come home and he has abrasions on his face area, but the heal. I just figured he got them from darting in and out the jaggard rocks. If it is HLLE what do i do? Isn't that caused by stray current in the tank?
Old 04-12-2004, 11:20 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

No one really knows for sure what causes it, electrical current in the tank is one suspect, water conditions and diet are two others, virus is another. I know that I have seen fish recover from but again, there are so many variables that it's hard to pin down exactly what reversed it. There was an article about it a year or two ago in one of the annuals, the guy writing the article stated the only constant in the reversal of the condition was that the fish were moved to a new tank, go figure. I would make sure water conditions are optimum, feed a good varied diet soaked in selcon and vitamins (you want to make sure you have something high in HUFAs) and ground the tank, no harm in covering all the bases.

Old 04-13-2004, 09:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, i do have a huge bioload in my tank with him the tusk and the eel in there, but i do a 15-20 gal water change every Sunday, and its only a 55gal tank. I make my own food, and add Zoe, and Garlic into the blender when im mixing it, and I add more Zoe and sometimes Garlic Guard into the water while im defrosting the cubes of food. I do use a lot of carbon in the tank. I change it every 1-2 weeks, depending on how much is in there. I just did a water change on Sunday, and changed the carbon. The only 2 things that are different, are i have started switching my salts from IO to Oceanic, and that I doubled the amount of carbon i usually place into the tank because the water i took out was a little funky. Guess the only thing left for me to try is a probe.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:00 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

If your only using zoe and not zoecon, or selcon, your not adding HUFAs.

Old 04-13-2004, 10:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

All I use is Zoe. I guess i can pick up some Selcon too.

Tags
ick, pic, sick, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com