Pyramid Snail Outbreak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniperhank

Giant Clam Addict
I have pyramid snails in my tank. I have been manually removing them from my snails, but just found them on my clam along with a major increase in their numbers. Any thoughts on solving this issue?

Remove clam and scrub shell, keep in quarantine while manually removing adults and you can try adding a wrasse such as a six line to hunt them.

I read about a guy that kept his clam in a Tupperware container with a little sand & every night pulled it out, scrubbed the clam with a toothbrush, and dumped out the sand.

Also read about another person that won the battle with them after keeping the clam in a bare bottom tank as the eggs that are jellylike are easier to see and eradicate that way. Also a Mystery Wrasse may hunt them and not go immediately to sleep when the lights go out.

Good luck. Sorry to hear you got the buggers.

Thanks. I've been thinking about a wrasse, but a 6 line is the only reef safe one I've read about doing the job for a 55...but fearful it would ignore them until my pods were decimated, leaving my mandarin to starve. Might just try to trade him off, I was thinking about doing that prior to upgrading the tank since I'd never see him in a tank above 100 gallons.

Don't add a wrasse if you like the mandarin. Manual removal is the best you can do. If you get the bulk of them, one or two stragglers won't kill the clam until you can get them later.

Back
Top Bottom