QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madstyle1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it possible for only one fish to have ich?

Here's my list

1 blue/green chromis (looks fine)
1 yellow eye tang (white spots)
2 Onyx clownfish (looks fine)

Bare bottom

I have a 10 gal QT ready to go should I just put all of them in it? Also will it get too crowded?

Tang is less than an inch. Clowns are small and so is the chromis

It is possible. One of the main reasons for disease in the hobby is stress. Tie that in with how easily tangs are to stress and ich you have quite the likely scenario. A healthy fish simply won't get ich.
I would focus only on the tang and look at why it would have ich, such as being a new occupant, bullying, insufficient tank size and hiding places, or parameter issues.

He's swimming around and not stationary he hides a lot though I have a QT ready other fish seems fine. He's not eating much though

Yes it's possible for 1 fish to have ich however it is unlikely that left untreated, the other fish won't also come down with the parasites. If you study the lifecycle of the parasite, you will find that it has a stage where it is on a fish then another where it is off and reproducing and then the offspring go out to find their own host and the battle continues.
Sniper is correct that Tangs have a higher instance of having ICK because they are often not housed correctly thereby being under stress and susceptible to attack. Make sure that this is not the issue. Your fish being so small, are you sure it is not their natural spotted coloration as juveniles that you are seeing? ICK parasites generally are easier to see on the fins and not the body. Does your tang have white spots on it's clear fins?

Well when the lights turned off and I pass the flash flight by him I see white spots but when the blues are on with the ati they are not there. So I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid. He's swimming actively breathing normal and eating off the glass.

At one point I had 7 tangs in my tank and the only one that ever showed WS was my powder blue it's like you only have to look at them wrong and they get it.

The blue has had it on and off for about 6 months a few spots here and there but all other fish totally unaffected I could go the QT route but that can then sometimes be detrimental to the fish that are not affected.

I'm a firm believer that it's always in people's systems just waiting and as long as the fish are all eating well I let them get on with it.

Back
Top Bottom