Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2003, 02:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

QT general question

Not there yet but when you QT the fish or invert do you automatically add a copper based solution that would kill any parasites? How would one know if it is infected?

My second question concerns Corals and Anemones. I guess it is common to NOT add these two delicate creatures to the tank for a long period. What specifically is it that would harm them in a "new" tank ( one month old for example). I have 55g tank with 130 w lighting, 70# LR and 4" DSB.

TIA

Old 08-20-2003, 02:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Not there yet but when you QT the fish or invert do you automatically add a copper based solution that would kill any parasites?
I dont.

Quote:
How would one know if it is infected?
It should be fairly obvious. Difference parasites will have different symptoms. Also its good to note that a copper based treatment is not a cureall.

Poor water quality and low light output would make for a very unhappy ananome and would probably lead to its demise.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 02:49 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

i'll just add that not only is copper not a cure all.. it can be lethal to some inverts.

coral and anenomes are usually held off on as newer tanks are still establishing the eco system within and are thus prone to fluctuations in the water parameters (which corals and anenomes don't like very much)
Old 08-20-2003, 02:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

In your opinion it the "suggested" QT time of three weeks a bit excessive?

For my very first fish should I adhere to this length of time?

For the cleanup crew do I need to QT?

Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi fishlips. It sounds like you are very very anxious to get your tank up and running and I know I was too! But in this hobby the most important thing I have learned is to be patient and not to rush anything. Nothing good in this hobby happens quick. I made the mistake of not Qt my first three fish which I introduced at the same time...another bad idea...and wound up with a sick fish. I was luckily able to treat him w/o a QT tank, but I really think I dodged a bullet there. I also made the mistake of not acclimating a cleaner shrimp for as long as I should have because I was anxious to get him in the tank. Three days later, he was dead. I would go with the suggested time for Qt ing your fish. I know it sounds like an eternity! But its really better to be safe than sorry and I have learned that kinda the hard way. I don't Qt my clean up crew....but then again....i could be wrong there too! Best of luck!
Old 08-20-2003, 03:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Chris where are you in Calif? Send me if PM if more convenient.

For the most part I have been quite patient when you consider I bought the tank three months ago and am now in my first week of cycling. I did all the research I could and actually I get a kick out of just looking for any hitchikers at this point.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:09 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

please check out our articles on acclimating as well fishlips. acclimating and QT are two very different things, and both very important to healthy fish.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think I need to because I thought they were one in the same, I read the one on QT.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2003, 04:43 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

basically a new fish will go through an acclimation to your QT tank... then go through the quarentine then through another acclimation to your display tank. Acclimations take a few hours, quarentines a few weeks.

Trust me... once you start plunking down the cash for all the LR, LS, corals, fish etc into the tank... the thought of adding something that could kill them all... will make you want to be sure it's safe before you do so. Especialy once you've gotten attached to all the fish and they way they come up to great you when you get home from work.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Since I started cycling my tank a week ago what do you think of getting a first fish in a week from now and start to QT it, by the time the tank is ready I won't have to wait another three weeks?

My daughter asks me every day when can we put fish in and of course I go through the whole dead fish reasoning but it just does not satisfy her.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com