QT general question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlips12

Aquarium Advice Activist
Not there yet but when you QT the fish or invert do you automatically add a copper based solution that would kill any parasites? How would one know if it is infected?

My second question concerns Corals and Anemones. I guess it is common to NOT add these two delicate creatures to the tank for a long period. What specifically is it that would harm them in a "new" tank ( one month old for example). I have 55g tank with 130 w lighting, 70# LR and 4" DSB.

TIA

Not there yet but when you QT the fish or invert do you automatically add a copper based solution that would kill any parasites?

I dont.

How would one know if it is infected?

It should be fairly obvious. Difference parasites will have different symptoms. Also its good to note that a copper based treatment is not a cureall.

Poor water quality and low light output would make for a very unhappy ananome and would probably lead to its demise.

i'll just add that not only is copper not a cure all.. it can be lethal to some inverts.

coral and anenomes are usually held off on as newer tanks are still establishing the eco system within and are thus prone to fluctuations in the water parameters (which corals and anenomes don't like very much)

In your opinion it the "suggested" QT time of three weeks a bit excessive?

For my very first fish should I adhere to this length of time?

For the cleanup crew do I need to QT?

Thanks again. :D

Hi fishlips. It sounds like you are very very anxious to get your tank up and running and I know I was too! But in this hobby the most important thing I have learned is to be patient and not to rush anything. Nothing good in this hobby happens quick. I made the mistake of not Qt my first three fish which I introduced at the same time...another bad idea...and wound up with a sick fish. I was luckily able to treat him w/o a QT tank, but I really think I dodged a bullet there. I also made the mistake of not acclimating a cleaner shrimp for as long as I should have because I was anxious to get him in the tank. Three days later, he was dead. I would go with the suggested time for Qt ing your fish. I know it sounds like an eternity! But its really better to be safe than sorry and I have learned that kinda the hard way. I don't Qt my clean up crew....but then again....i could be wrong there too! Best of luck!

Thanks Chris where are you in Calif? Send me if PM if more convenient.

For the most part I have been quite patient when you consider I bought the tank three months ago and am now in my first week of cycling. I did all the research I could and actually I get a kick out of just looking for any hitchikers at this point.

please check out our articles on acclimating as well fishlips. acclimating and QT are two very different things, and both very important to healthy fish.

basically a new fish will go through an acclimation to your QT tank... then go through the quarentine then through another acclimation to your display tank. Acclimations take a few hours, quarentines a few weeks.

Trust me... once you start plunking down the cash for all the LR, LS, corals, fish etc into the tank... the thought of adding something that could kill them all... will make you want to be sure it's safe before you do so. Especialy once you've gotten attached to all the fish and they way they come up to great you when you get home from work.

Since I started cycling my tank a week ago what do you think of getting a first fish in a week from now and start to QT it, by the time the tank is ready I won't have to wait another three weeks?

My daughter asks me every day when can we put fish in and of course I go through the whole dead fish reasoning but it just does not satisfy her. :?

I would start QTing the fish a couple of three weeks into your cycle. So your idea sounds good ;) Just remeber you will need to keep a very close eye on water parameters with your QT. Without being able to jump start a sponge filter for biological filtration, the ammonia levels are going to rise quickly and your looking at daily water changes to keep the levels in check. You migh see if the LFS will let you begin running a filter on one of their established tanks, for the next week or so ;)

BTW,

[center:43e257c8ae]Happy Birthday!![/center:43e257c8ae]
Animation1.gif

party55.gif
singandcake.gif
party55.gif

Thanks Kevin for the birtdhay wish . Seems like as you get older fewer and fewer people remember.

I would like to understand what you mean by "jump start a sponge filter". Being a newbie here I can only speculate that this means conditioning the filter somehow to take care of the ammonia produced by the fish. Help me out here. What type of basic filter and pump would you recommend for my QT tank. Brand names please. :D

TIA

I think reefrunner is referring to jumpstarting nitrifying bacteria on a sponge filter for your QT tank. Many people tend to keep their sponge filters in their sump to allow the existing nitrifying bacteria to populate the sponge itself for use when needed. Because you will be starting your QT tank around the same time as your display tank, you will lose the advantage of using existing bacteria ("cycle") from it. Without a "jumpstart" to the sponge filter from an established tank, means you will just have to do daily water changes to keep the ammonia levels in check. HTH.

Back
Top Bottom