QT gone bad, now dealing with it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So maybe you saw my last post, maybe not, but I had a high ammonia spike in a QT tank. I quickly acclimated the 6 line wrasse and got him in the display. He is eating, swimming, and getting along with everyone fine, but he has a few cosmetic problems.

As of right now his tail looks a little frayed (it was fine in the LFS) and he's developed some white markings on his body. I have some melafix in the DT right now because of the tail, but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I know the white spots aren't ich, but I'm not sure what they could be. They don't look like cotton balls, so I don't think it fungus. Any idea what this could be?

Could it be just stress? Could it be like a tail rot spreading deal? Idk ill try to take a pic and upload it. The water in the display is perfect. 0,0,0 as of right now. Some thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

The picture is not happening lol he's way to active

Here is a YouTube link:
http://youtu.be/sYm1-7VFylw

So today I noticed my gramma flashing and one of the clown fish has white string poo. This tank make a bad turn...what can I do right now? I'm 5 days into the melafix treatment. They are all eating ok, not like they all have been but they are eating. What could this be? I don't see any sign of ich in the tank at all.

Tank is 0, 0, 5 nitrates, ph is about 8-8.2. Should I just keep dosing the melafix for the last 2 days, do the water change and leave the tank alone? Should I dose some prazi pro?

So nothing really broke out in the tank. The wrasse is very active, eating, but still doesn't look right. I want to say the wrasse has a bigger then normal stomach area, but I'm not sure. Everything else in the tank is fine.

No I've been watching the tank really close, no fish has been aggressive as of now.

The clown charges it in your video.. . :whistle:

I don't see the enlarged belly you mentioned.

The marks look like scratches or possibly bite marks. If that is the case, the most important and best treatment is pristine water to prevent (and help the fish fight off) bacterial infection. Based on what I'm seeing, I think physical injury is the culprit.

One thing you can try that will actually help with medicating your fish for internal parasites is to thaw an entire 4oz flat pack of frozen food, and add one tablespoon of Metro+ to it, mix well, and refreeze. Feed over a 10 day period. Do not use the food unless you are sure the fish has internal parasites or things may build up an immunity to it. (I mention this only because of of the stringy feces and swollen belly you mentioned.)

Yeah she did, but at the same time no contact was made. I haven't seen anyone hurt anyone else, but how often am I starring into the tank. The scales on the wrasse still look like crap. I haven't done anything to the tank besides adding melafix, that's been a week or 2 now and I've been doing bigger then normal water changes to get it all out.

I was thinkin of dosing prazipro just to make sure the wrasse doesn't have any internal stuff, but I want to see the white poo again before I dose. The water now is 0,0,0 so it can't get any better.

One thing I noticed the wrasse doin lately is putting it's nose to the glass and doing this twitching thing. It also like lays sideways while its swimming and drops a little bit, goes up and does it again. Most of the time it's when it's looking at me. It looks controlled and really cute, but I'm not sure why it's doing that.

BTW thank for the reply, I've been sittin here wondering what I should do. So far I haven't done anything but add the melafix, but it's tail looks new now. Hopefully it keeps improving without meds. When do you think I should pull the trigger on the prazipro or the other med you mentioned,

The wrasse definitely has white poo...I dosed prazipro and ill see how it goes over the next week. It's definitely eating and acting normal, so hopefully everything is ok in a week.

Back
Top Bottom