QT? LFS says NO!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or cycle it before you add anymore fish. In this situation, I would cycle using the raw shrimp method. You could try using the Bio Spira, but there seems to be mixed results, I would use the old tried and true method.

using the raw shrimp method.
Sorry to highjack this thread :? But is there anything against the ol' damsel method, other than cruelty. It worked for me, but next I will try the more PC version.

But is there anything against the ol' damsel method, other than cruelty. It worked for me, but next I will try the more PC version.

Using a damsel will still work (or any fish for that matter), but like you said, its cruel and only money grubbing LFS's give out that advice.

You can do the same thing with a raw shrimp and it is cheaper as well. Especially if the damsel should die.

I think it comes down to this LFS wanting the fish it has guaranteed to replace to have the best environment possible=your main tank would be it! Low or no risk of stressing that particular fish with ammonia, nitrite, etc. He/she is not necessarily concerned with the other fish, etc. in your main tank. JMO

i got the same crud from petco and another LFS man good thing for this site, or we would all be hand feeding LFS money, from what I heard you got ICH med , let me guess kick ick for about 20 bucks, dumped it in fish all died. I have a mall 3 gal QT and have learned my lesson QT jail for 10 days and no more than 2 fish per time going in just get quick dip strips and check QT every day and do lots of water changes which arent bad because it is small tank. Thinking of getting Med tank. which Ill only use to treat meds in, Never dump meds into reg tank. BAD for LR and other good Bacteria

Alright, I want to make sure I have this right. I'm getting about a 10 gallon tank, a heater, a piece of pvc pipe, some fresh sw (not from my tank) and them I'm going to have it cycle with a piece of raw shrimp. How long do I keep the shrimp in there? For filtration, I need a hob filter of some type, correct? And how long do I keep it running before I can put a fish in it? And what is the correct specific gravity and temperature for the qt?

You can use a HOB or a sponge filter if your going to leave it running all the time, I like the emperors or the penguin biowheels, if your gonna tear it down each time, and set it up for new fish, I prefer the sponge filter.

You can remove the shrimp when the ammonia peaks and then drops and you start getting nitrite. Once there is no ammonia or nitrite, you can add fish. SG and temp should be the same as the main tank, the only difference would be if you need to do a hyposalinity treatment for ick, or decide to do it preventatively. Then the tank should start as the same SG as the display, but be slowly dropped to the target SG. Another option would be to find out what your LFS's SG is and keep the QT there for new arrivals and then slowly bring it up to the SG of the display tank.

Back
Top Bottom