QT? LFS says NO!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gefilte

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have already lost my first school of fish to a combination of ich, stress and a homocidal yellow tang. I am letting my tank go fallow for 4 weeks before I get any new fish. I went by one of the 2 LFS that I frequent and told him of my plans to set up a QT now, so I make sure to have healthy fish in the display tank. He told me that he advises against a QT because the water quality needs to be twice as good as your display tank to work correctly AND they will NOT warranty fish that I put in a QT. He says the problem is that most LFS purchase fish from wholesalers who may keep fish in questionable quarters and feed them a minimum to keep overhead down. This LFS says they buy all of their fish from collectors and check each fish before putting them out and would not put a fish out for sale if he had ich or any other sign of distress. (One of my fish had ich going into the tank unbeknownst to me that came from the other local LFS and when I went back, they sold me some medicine and I could see the ich on the rest of the fish in the tank.) SOOOO, what say you? QT or NOT?

Your LFS is a moron ;)

Quarantine is the single most responsible thing you can do for your fish and for your wallet. Think about it for a second, if he gets his fish from the collector, the fish hasn't had time to exhibit signs of parasitic infestation or disease that come from being in an eclosed environment.

Yes sir, I agree with the guys above.

Your LFS is taking crazy pills or something. To not warranty a fish that is put in QT!?! Makes absolutely no sense. I would find another LFS.

qt

Ok, if I worked at a hospital and one wing came down with something major like the plague and I was in there treating them... an hour or even a day later I could go to another wing of the hospital because I look fine... No symptoms so I must be ok... right... now consider some other wing of the hospital the "main tank" and a not entirely clean bathroom the "QT"... Which would you guaruntee... me looking healthy and sending me straight in, or placing me in the "bathroom" to be monitored and treated for possible problems... weird comparison I know... but yeah, it makes no sense... A qt tank doesn't need to be twice as clean as the main tank. That's just nonsense. You obviously wouldn't want an ignored and filthy qt... but introducing a fish to the main tank with other fish without making sure they are healthy is just stupid... I've done it, many others have done it and have lucked out... but it was just luck... quite a risk. That person could have a fish with a seriuos problem that just hasn't shown up yet... you put it straight into your main tank and then you have a tank full of possibly sick fish... then you're in big trouble... will any lfs pay for that? I don't think so... what a moron. There's a huge problem with misinformation in this country, not just with fish... but man, people hear something once, and often times accept it without thinking... I'm guessing that's what happened to the guy at that store. ahhhh why, why, why... just have to throw my hands in the air and walk away from that one.... If you really like the store I'd try to talk some sense into him... otherwise I'd forget about it... Or you could lie... I try not to do that as often as I can... of course if he didn't ask and you didn't tell you wouldn't be lying... :roll:

Thanks for all of your replies. This particular lfs is actually very well known and has a really good reputation. I think his main reason is that people don't know how to do a qt correctly. The store has been there a long time and has very nice reef tanks. I was there yesterday morning when they opened and the entire staff was doing water changes and cleaning tanks, etc. I don't think he's just trying to sell me more fish, but I tend to agree with you guys that if I do a qt correctly, it can only help. I have been doing some reading on how to set up the qt, so I know I need a tank, heater, pvc pipe for fish to hide, no substrate, no rock, no light necessary, but here are my last questions.....I have a 65 gal reef tank (not that that necessarily matters, but I'm not sure)..How big of a qt do I need? And, how do I start the water?

The size depends on what you are putting in the qt. It your doing for example a Damsel or a Clown a 10 would probably do. If you are putting in a larger fish, or several fish at one, a 20 gallon or larger would be much better and give you more flexibility.
As for the water, you can use the water from the main tank (change water would be good). You can also seed a sponge filter in your sump for a couple if weeks to build up nitrifying bacteria and stick that in your qt tank filter.

I agree with all the post so far and would only add that if he doesnt want to gaurantee QT fish, then just dont tell him you have one! (that is if you cant find another LFS)

yea, the whole "we wont warrenty something in a QT" just seems... odd. A fish tank is a fish tank. As long as you are checking the water regularly there is no difference wether its a QT or a 20 gallon FO tank its the same thing. If it gets sick in a QT you're 100% sure of why. Perhaps that's why they don't want to warrenty it. because you can be 100% sure it was sick when you got it from them.

Therein lies the problem....if I try to start my qt now, and use water form my main tank and filter material from my sump, won't it be infected with ich since it hasn't been fallow for four weeks? Do I just need to wait four weeks to set up the qt? Or is there some other way to get it started without using anything from the main tank?

If the LFS store was concerned that most people don't know how to set up a QT tank and medicate/treat preventively then they are missing the big picture. A "good" "responsible" LFS would take the time to help you get the equipment needed and treat accordingly IMO.

From what I've gathered in my reading, parasites are always present but not always visible. Using water from your main tank for the QT is fine since you'll be treating it anyway.

Most people do Hypo Salinity. I myself use copper after having lost a battle with Oodinium which is not killed off by Hypo..I would highly reccomend that if you decide to go with copper that you purchase a copper test kit. HTH

Most people do Hypo Salinity. I myself use copper after having lost a battle with Oodinium which is not killed off by Hypo..I would highly reccomend that if you decide to go with copper that you purchase a copper test kit. HTH

and use water form my main tank and filter material from my sump

Don't do this. Start the QT fresh. Sure it will cycle but you just have to watch the level real close. If you use stuff from you display it will be infected. 8O

It's a QT. You are supposed to set it up, use it for however long, and take it down. It will cycle with the fish in it but watch the levels CLOSE.

Back
Top Bottom