QT probs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeremy arsement

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just set up qt for ichified foxface. Seeded from DT (2) gal, QT is 10g. It's been set up for 3days now. Had to do 3 emergency PWCs due to ammonia. (.5ppm). Treating fish with copper, which is why there is no substrate. What am I doing wrong? Why won't this qt cycle?

image-1774673100.jpg

If you're treating with copper, it sounds more like a hospital tank than a QT. The copper has ruined the rock you put in there. It will have killed all the bacteria and permeated the rock, so don't ever put it back in the DT. Its a table decoration now. Better yet, throw it in the garbage so you don't accidentally put it in the DT.
A hospital tank is for treatment and medications. Nothing goes in there except some pieces of PVC pipe for hidey holes. Medications will kill the bacteria that process waste, so frequent water changes are required. If you go with hyposalinity instead of copper treatments, you could put stuff back in the DT/sump as it is not contaminated, but that horse is out of the barn.
A QT is just a place to observe a fish to see if it is sick. LR from your tank/sump can go in their along with bio filter pads (I always keep my filter pad for my QT in the sump when not in use) and then back into the DT/sump afterwards. BB can build up and process waste, keeping ammonia low or 0.

Your hospital tank with copper treatments will require water changes. A lot! keep an eye on ammonia and keep lots of water on hand.

Well, today is day three of copper treatment. Maybe I'll discontinue the copper and go straight hypo salinity. Can I treat for Popeye without loosing BB? I'm using maracyn two Popeyes treatment.

First off what brand of copper are you using and while doing a copper treatment your not suppose to use other medications

Using this. Seems to have worked. I had no idea I would do water changes twice a day though.

ForumRunner_20130829_081231.jpg

I've used copper safe with eurythromyacin for ich and a secondary infection of fin rot an the fish came through fine this was over a year ago. I've also read of treatments combining cupparmine and maracyn 2 with success.

What you never want to do is copper treatment with hypo salinity that leads to quick fish death.

How long do I need to treat for ich? Foxface seems healthy now. Thinking of putting him back in the DT tonight.

The life cycle of the parasite is at least a month but I would go for 6 weeks so that how long the DT must remain fallow. Treat the fish as per the instructions and keep an eye on them.

There are tons of good articles and research papers on the parasite and it's life cycle on the Internet. I would suggest reading up on it.

Back
Top Bottom