Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
QT Question

I have a six line wrasse, a clown goby and 2 other gobies that Im not sure what they are but I think are called scissor tails. I have had all of them in QT now for almost 6 weeks with no signs of disease. However, as soon as I got the clown goby, I could tell something was wrong. He is SO skinny and tries to eat but appears cant. He has lived now for 6 weeks like this but still swims around and such. The other fish are eating and look healthy. I want to put the others in my main but am afraid to because of this one that isnt eating. Is it safe to put the others in the main and leave the clown in QT?
Also what can I do to help the clown goby? As soon as food is put in the tank he goes right after it but only 1 time and then will either spit it out or doesnt try to eat again at that feeding. Personally I think he is to far gone as een his color is fading fast.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I would drip acclimate your other ones and put them in the main (if they do indeed look healthy and are eating). Definitely leave the clown in the QT.
Can you get a pic of him?
Has his color faded?
Have you tried soaking the food in garlic guard?
Are his droppings white?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah all of the others look fine..I am going to put them in the main this weekened.
On the clown goby I cant get a pic of him. He hides most of the time. Yes his color has faded a lot. He is sort of faded yellow to white now in some areas. And yes I soak the food in garlic. He acts like he is starving and I think he is...just dont know why?
I havent seen any droppings. I really dont think he is eating enough if any to produce droppings. I really wish I knew what was wrong with him. His little stomach is sunken way in..
Old 05-09-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Sounds like like it could be intestinal flagellates, too bright light, pH, some sort of meds added to the tank (is this a new QT, that has never had anything in it?), the same food for long periods of time.
What are your water parameters, including pH?
What size is the QT?

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 05-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have had this QT tank set up for about 4-5 months now. I had a yellow tang in it for 7 weeks and then put these guys in there now. The yellow had no problems and has been in my main for 3+ months now.
No meds have been in this tank. I feed mysis, brine and the frozen cube that has a bunch of stuff in it...slips my mind. QT is 30 gallon long. 2 biowheels, some rubble rock from the main and PVC. I have 1 light that is a shop light - like 65 watts.
Parameters are stable...PH around 7.8-8.2, ammonia 0, trates less than 10, and all else 0. SG is around 1.022...same as my main
Old 05-09-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would also add the other fish to the main as soon as possible so we can worry about the sick one. I would try to feed using selcon or garlic or both to see if you can start to get him to eat. I hope all goes well.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I will then add them to the main this weekend and go from there. Again I want to make sure you understand...the sick fish tries to eat, and is VERY agressive on chasing the food but then after catching one bite, its like he either has blockage or it want go down and he cant swallow. I dont know how you would fix this?
Old 05-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Ok, is there any swelling around his mouth?
Are you letting the frozen thaw out?
Try not using the garlic, how much are you adding? I do 2 drops for my 55, of garlic guard.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 05-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Roak no swelling that I can see. He looks normal..
I sort of laughed out loud on the "do you let the food thaw out". I cant imagine someone being that slow shall we say? Sorry - I found it funny as yes this would present a problem!
But to answer your question, yes I do let the food thaw out. I add vitamin C and garlic to the food. I feed the same food to my main. I also rinse the food too.
I have tried using and NOT using the garlic..same result.
Also just small bit of background. I have been in the SW hobby for almost 5 years. So I know a lot of tricks and such. This one seems that the fish has a blockage in his throat or is just sick. He has been like this since late March. Seems to be getting worse.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Have you tried flake?
Hmmm, I'm running out of ideas, can you check the gills?
Try slowly lowering the salinity, that may help.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com