QT Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

two11devan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was looking over my tangs last night and I think they may have ich. I've had a sponge filter running in my sump for over a month so I could set up a QT pretty quickly. I know if I just take the two tangs out (yellow/sailfin) and treat them, it will do nothing about the ich that is still in the tank. If I try to treat the tank, I would have to remove all of the fish and let it go fishless for 6 weeks. Question is, what size tank am I gonna have to get in order to QT all of my fish (which will be a nightmare!) ...I have the following fish:

1 yellow tang
1 sailfin tang
1 diamond goby
1 six line wrasse
1 eible(sp) angel
7 chromis

What would you suggest I do??

Be sure to diagnose acurratly and make sure it is ich before you treat, that may save some headache. Is it just a dusting or defined individual spots?

Do they fall off at night, or do you not see them in the morning?

Your profile shows "reef," but what exactly do you have in regards to invertebrates? Are there any invertebrates, mobile or not, in the tank or just fish and live rock?

I havent checked at night with the lights off but I will check. You wouldnt be able to see it if you werent really looking closely at the fins.

Inverts: snails, hermits and one serpent star

You wouldnt be able to see it if you werent really looking closely at the fins.

Check out Marine Velvet also. Gotta move REAL qwik on that. Had it once (7 yrs ago) and it wiped out fish very quickly. Just that I remember seeing very fine spots on the fins first.

austinsdad said:
You wouldnt be able to see it if you werent really looking closely at the fins.

Check out Marine Velvet also.

Agree... ich is pretty obvious and I'd think it would be hard to not notice it. If the spots stay in one place, and don't "disappear" over the course of a couple days, it's probably not ich. With ich, the raised bumps/spots will appear to come and go.

Back
Top Bottom