Qt question with livestock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjboer7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok long story but my tank got ick... I was wondering if my 20 gal long could house all my fish or I I should get a second tank. I'm hoping they all fit in my one qt. I really don't have room for a second qt tank. My livestock list is,

5 inch yellow tang
4 inch porc puffer
3 inch hawaiian blue spot puffer
4 inch naso tang
4 chromis small
3 inch clown
Med 6 line

There all normally housed in my 125 dt

I hate to say it but you may need a 55g or so to get all those fish in it. Ot maybe 2 29g tanks? Thats alot of fish......what size is your main tank? I'd hate for you to have to buy a whole new BIG tank but with those fish you may have to.

Sorry, good luck though hope it turns out ok.

There housed in a 125. I have a couple 10g laying around but I want to keep for sure no more then two qt tanks. Already a headache making sure the tanks stay healthy. I'm watching cl for a cheap 55 or larger but there's no good deals by me right now. Might have to go buy another 29

Should I move my skimmer from my dt to my qt while the fish are going through hypo? Then let it dry out real good and move back to my dt after treatment.

Thinking it would maybe help keep the tank clean?

Don't risk spread of infection by moving the skimmer around like that.

Go to walmart and buy a 30 gallon tote,put the bigger fish in that and the others in the 20..
you can move the skimmer ,,hypo will kill whatever it has in it anyway

So then I just turkey baster all the poop and unbeaten food out once a day??

I do have a couple big totes already :) I won't be doing any water changes in the dt anyway for a while :) that just might work

How low is hypo does it have to stay right at 1.010 because as the water evaps the salinity rises and its about 24 hours before I get water made and in the tank. Also do I have to use ro water or can I tap with prime?

I would use the water right out of your DT,,It MUST stay at 1.009..
I always go to 1.008 to allow that little bit of evap...It can't go up above .009 or you'll have to start over

I was gonna do that but will hypo kill the ick from thewater from the dt. Right away. And I have it dropped to 10 I'll drop it to 8 tomorrow morning after I get the rest of my fish out :( this sucks lol oh well another thing to learn I guess.

I was gonna do that but will hypo kill the ick from thewater from the dt. Right away. And I have it dropped to 10 I'll drop it to 8 tomorrow morning after I get the rest of my fish out :( this sucks lol oh well another thing to learn I guess.
Yeah ,hypo will kill the ick...
most of us learn the hard way(including me),,it does suck,but do it now and QT from now on and you'll be good to go(y)

Thanks for your help I'm sure il have more questions as this progresses

Back
Top Bottom