Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2004, 11:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

QT Questions

I have had all my fish in a qt tank now for 6 days. I used all water from the main tank to fill this 20g qt tank. I have a small hob filter, small powerhead running at the to of the water, and an airstone running on the bottom. I have 5 fish in the qt. (see my signature for types of fish) I have been treating with cupramine. All the fish have been eating except the yello tang. He is hanging out in the corner at all times.

Now to the questions.

1. Can you ever achieve a low level of Nirite, and Ammonia in a qt of this size, with this much bio-load? (I have done 4 water changes of 20-25%)
The Ammonia is just below 1.0
The Nitrite is .25

2. The qt tank was set up new, with the main tank water as mentioned above. Does it have to have tim to cycle?

3. This is alot of fish for this size. What would you suggest as far as feeding amounts, time, and food for this qt tank?

I am doing a 20% water change every day now, I can't do this for 4 more weeks!!!!!!!

IS THIS NORMAL FOR A QT TANK????

Thanks for hearing me Rant a little, and thanks for all the help.

Old 05-20-2004, 11:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

FWIW, thats the norm for my QT right now and its going on 2 weeks. I dont think the tank will cycle as long as the copper is there.

Dont know what your budget is but I purchased an RO/DI filter from Air, Water, & Ice for $236.95 shipped. Its more economical for me I am running a 75, 65,& 29gal tanks, than paying for RO water from the LFS.

I only add a little food at a time, once they have eaten it I add a little more and vacuum out the uneaten stuff. Do you feed the tang algae sheets?

I acually do about 75% water changes to keep the nitrates to a min.

HTH,
Rich

Old 05-20-2004, 11:46 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

it is normal for a QT to have fluctuating levels. But I think the biggest cause for your troubles is having 5 fish in a 20 gallon QT. if there is any way you can find a cheap ($10) 10/20 gallon tank and HOB. grab one of the PH's from your display tank and move you're three smaller, hardier fish into that one. Your tang is likely feeling QUITE a bit closterphobic (sp). if you can get three fish into another tank it might help him a little. I think what you're doing with the feeding is just fine as long as your vacuming the leftovers.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, I cannot get the Ammonia down. I have done at least a 20% water change for 4 straight days and the ammonia is at 1.0 and the nitrite is .25, the nitrate is up a little. Any suggestions?
Old 05-21-2004, 06:17 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
the fact is that it is too many fish for that small of a tank.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK we have established that fact. Now how can I improve the water conditions, if I have no other way to get another tank, and filter right now?

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:08 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhtree
OK we have established that fact. Now how can I improve the water conditions, if I have no other way to get another tank, and filter right now?

Thanks.
Rubbermaid tub, heater and a powerhead.

As long as you are treating with copper, water changes are just a fact you will have to deal with. If you can seperate enough fish to re-distribute the bioload, it will be less taxing on the water quality. Water changes will still be needed for both though

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-21-2004, 07:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

OOHH....does the copper foul the water quality?
Old 05-21-2004, 07:31 PM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhtree
OOHH....does the copper foul the water quality?
Not unto itself. Copper can reduce the effectiveness or completely eliminate the biofilter. As we discussed in this post....

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...=181192#181192

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-22-2004, 06:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok update: I'm frustrated so forgive me when I say this......Would it ne batter for my fish to be in the main tank and have a chance of getting ich or die of stress in my qt. Water changes everyday and even 6 hrs ago. I just checked the levels. The water felt greesy like, and the Nitrite was up to .50, trate 10, ph 8.5, ammonia .50.

Sorry I frustrated....maybe this is just to much for me to handle...

Thanks for letting me vent.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com