Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2004, 01:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

"QT" questions

Well, I've finally determined that "QT" means Quarantine Tank (only about 500 more acronyms to figure out now).

What is the purpose of the QT? I remember setting one up before when I had a sick fish, but do you QT fish when you first buy them? How long do you let them live in the QT before determining that they're healthy?

btw - do you have an acronym definition thread here?

Old 08-09-2004, 01:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nevermind on the acronym question - I see there is a cool tabover definition feature on here. For some reason it didn't work on my home pc.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Whenever you see an acronym you can usually hover your mouse cursor over it and you'll get a pop-up explanation. There's also a common abbreviations page.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Most folks put new fish in the QT for 2-6 weeks, with 4 being about average (I know this because I asked exactly the same question a while ago!)
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So, I have a 44 gallon tank set for SW now. I'm guessing it would be a good idea to keep that tank SW, keep invertebrates out of that tank, and it'll also double as a treatment tank for sick fish?

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oops sorry, forgot about the main question lol.

Yes 4 weeks is a good amount of time. The reason is to keep an eye on the fish for any signs of parasites, infections etc. That way you haven't introduced anything nasty into your main display and you already have the fish in a separate, treatable tank if something shows up.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com