Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2004, 10:20 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
As long as your spounge is in the tank water somewhere, it doesnt matter. All you are wanting is for the spounge to be colonized with bacteria. And I would let it either float in the tank or if you have anough room in the put 2 in the back of your Emperor....one for your filteration and one for using in your future QT tank. You should be good to go. I let my spounge sit for as long as I can and then I threw it in the QT and let it sink to the bottom. If I dont have to medicate my QT tank then I will take the spounge out, rinse it and then put it back in my sump to use again. If I DO have to medicate the tank, then I will simply throw it away and only be out $1.50.....hope this helps.

Old 05-04-2004, 11:57 AM   #12
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
I thought I had ick when I first started setting up my tank and my 3 dominoes seemed to have spots on them, then they didnt, then they did, then they didnt....this went on for 2-3 months and the spots would disappear and then show up again overnight. I finally concluded this couldnt be ick as ick doesnt operate like this from what Ive been told. I think it was setiment that was attaching itself to the fish overnight as it was primarily on my clowns.
The on/off appearance is actually the way C. irritans behaves. Not typically that quickly but once the parasite is ready to multiply, it leaves the fish and encysts on a hard surface. Once the cysts releases the new theronts, the fish becomes re-infested. Most damsel species are a little more resiliant but they are not immune. Considering the amount of time that has passed, hopefully you have dodged the bullet. If could just be something else.

When was the last time you saw something?

Quote:
1) When doing water changes in Qt tank, do I use new RO water or water from my main tank?
For water changes, always use newly prepared SW that has been aerated with a PH for about 24 hrs. Also be sure to match temp and pH. With the lower amount of filtration in the QT, you do not want to add any DOC that will decrease water quality over time. Not to mention if the was a problem in the main, you would transfer that with it.

Quote:
2) Any thoughts on the Regal? Ive heard they are really hard to keep due to ick....needless to say I dont like the ick word as you can tell!!
Tangs are more prone to aquiring ich, regals and powder blues especially. There is no reason to worry as long as the tang goes through the proper QT time (4 weeks) and is treated appropriately if needed. >>Hyposalinity<< is the better option when dealing with C.irritans.

Quote:
3) Since my tank has been set up since 11-03, I assume if ick was present it would have shown itself?? I do all of the right things such as 1 per month water change and watch my levels weekly.
Fish can develope a certain amount of "aquired immunity" to the parasite but it generally does not last much longer than 6-8 months. Once a new fish is introduced it typically upsets the balance and fuels the life cycle anew causing all fish to become heavily infested.

Be very sure that all the fish you have now show no signs of the problem before you add any additional fish. You could be opening a nasty can of worms. If you still suspect they might be at risk, it would be prudent to QT them all and perform hypo after the QT is properly cycled and stable. It will not hurt them at all and is the least stressful treatment when done properly.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-04-2004, 03:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
The last time I saw something was about 5-6 months ago. I do really think it was setiment that was attaching itself to the body of the fish as it would do this daily...and also I forgot to mention I added the clowns about 5-6 months ago and have not seen this siutation again since. I would notice it mainly when I would stir up the CC.
I have not seen this since Dec of last year. I had 3 damsels to start with, 2 of them died right away and left me with one. I finished cycling the tank with LR. Then I added 2 clowns and a couple of weeks is when the specs started showing up on the fish. However like I said it was after stirring the CC mainly. Since that time I have added a LM blenny, yellow wrasse and have seen no signs of anything since. Plus this was an everyday occurrance....turn the lights on the morning, and see a few specs. Come home that evening and the specs were gone. After reading several articles I figured there was no way this was ick as it was to weird. And all of the levels stayedd the same and nothing was being added to stress the fish...anyway I feel like if it would have happened I would have seen it by now. Any and all info is appreciated.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:24 PM   #14
steve-s

By the sounds of it, you don't have anything to worry about with your current fish. Just keep going with your future plans to QT any new fish and you should be fine. FWIW, not all marks you will find on fish (white or otherwise) are a sign of a problem.

Good Luck!!
Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com