Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2004, 05:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
QT Revisited..more ???'s

AS you can see by my profile I have a 125. I have seen so many people on this board that have had bad experiences with adding new fish straight to their show tank without QT them. SO, I set up a 20 long QT tank this weekend. I took 20 gallons from my show tank and have a heater, bio wheel filter in the tank. Also I took a spounge from my sump and placed it in the QT tank. I keep 1-2 extra in there for this.
Now Im going to let it set for a week. What should I do from here? Here are my questions:
1)Can I add 2 fish to the QT tank or just 1?
2)Do I treat the tank with anything once I put the fish in there? I assume I watch them and unless I see something, I don’t treat them.
3)I read while Im waiting to put the new fish in there, I add food to the QT tank for bacteria purposes?? Is this correct?
4)Fish selection-Given that I can put 2 fish in the QT tank at the same time, can I do a firefish and a Regal tang or maybe a purple dottiback and a regal?
5)How long should I leave the fish in the QT tank? I really don’t understand how it can be determined that a fish has ick in the 4-6 weeks in QT. I always thought all fish are prone to ick and when the fish gets stressed it shows signs of ick?
6)So would it be safe to say that once the 4-6 weeks have passed, and there are no signs of disease on the fish, he is good to go? Does this mean it will not have ick ever if my show tank doesn’t have it?
7)How often should I change the water in the QT tank? I assume by testing the levels each week?
Am I missing anything?
Thanks

Old 05-03-2004, 06:37 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: QT Revisited..more ???'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
1)Can I add 2 fish to the QT tank or just 1?
Depends on the fish but it is possible to add more than one at a time. Just be sure you provide adequate hiding places. PVC piping will be the easiest.

Quote:
2)Do I treat the tank with anything once I put the fish in there? I assume I watch them and unless I see something, I don’t treat them.
Some recommend it but IME, until you know what you are treating it could easily cause much larger issues if you do. I would suggest you wait and see. Many treatment/meds do not interact well and you cannot switch mid stream easily.

Quote:
3)I read while Im waiting to put the new fish in there, I add food to the QT tank for bacteria purposes?? Is this correct?
Yes. Once or twice a week should do it. Basically the same amount you might feed a single fish.

Quote:
4)Fish selection-Given that I can put 2 fish in the QT tank at the same time, can I do a firefish and a Regal tang or maybe a purple dottiback and a regal?
I would QT the firefish on their own. They are quite skiddish and an active tank mate will make it rough on them. The dotty and the regal should be fine though. Also FWIW, if you plan on keeping dartfish, they should be the first fish purchased.

Quote:
5)How long should I leave the fish in the QT tank? I really don’t understand how it can be determined that a fish has ick in the 4-6 weeks in QT. I always thought all fish are prone to ick and when the fish gets stressed it shows signs of ick?
Ich is not like a form of cancer. It's either there or it's not. C. irritans is a protozoan prasite and fish are not "always" infested. Once in the QT, it will normally show signs rather quickly. Any new fish should be QT'd for a minimum of 4 weeks.

Quote:
6)So would it be safe to say that once the 4-6 weeks have passed, and there are no signs of disease on the fish, he is good to go? Does this mean it will not have ick ever if my show tank doesn’t have it?
If the show tank has never had an animal infested with C. irritans then yes. The show tank should be able to run indefinately without any parasite issues.

Quote:
7)How often should I change the water in the QT tank? I assume by testing the levels each week?
Basically yes, but I would still suggest weekly 5-10% water changes to keep DOC to a minimum. Other than that, change as needed depending on the water tests.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-03-2004, 06:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
sigh...
I know I need a QT and this post makes it that much easier, but I have 0 room for one...
Old 05-03-2004, 07:31 PM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXFirefighter
but I have 0 room for one...
You do not necessarily need to keep in running 24/7. As long as you at least have the equipment and extra seeded media that can be transfered from the main tank, you can still utilize the great benefits. Might not look pretty sitting where it ends up but it will only be for a month or so...

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-03-2004, 10:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

The "seeded media" that you speak of - is that the same as that stiff rectangle filtering sponge that's in my main tank's sump? So if I have an extra one just sitting in my sump - I can just put it in my QT when I'm getting ready to quarantine a fish? Can I then put this sponge back into my main tank if I have not added any meds or anything to the QT?

In its great blue whales, hunted even to
between houses, an entire people was
dreaming of a less silent light.
BlueDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

So, basically the only real equipment needed for my QT is a heater and some type of filter? Can anyone recommend a very inexpensive filter I should get?

Old 05-03-2004, 10:29 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDolphin
The "seeded media" that you speak of - is that the same as that stiff rectangle filtering sponge that's in my main tank's sump? So if I have an extra one just sitting in my sump - I can just put it in my QT when I'm getting ready to quarantine a fish?
Basically, yes. As long as the filter is seeded, it's all you really need. Personally I would go one step further and allow the QT a few days (to a week) to stabalize. If an emergency and you can't wait, just watch to make sure it's doing the job and test the water daily.

Quote:
Can I then put this sponge back into my main tank if I have not added any meds or anything to the QT?
As long as no med has ever been used, yes. Once it's been in a medicated tank it cannot go back to the main. If there where any fish in the tank (treated or not) let the sponge air dry a few days after rinsing it out just to be safe.

Quote:
So, basically the only real equipment needed for my QT is a heater and some type of filter?
A lid of some type would help as well. Unless a larger tank (20+ gal) you won't really need a PH either. Lighting is also not necessary and will actually reduce the fish's acclimation stress without it.

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a very inexpensive filter I should get?
Personally I prefer Hagen "Quick Filters". It's a PH with a basket attachment. Hold any media you want and serves for both filtration and water movement.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-03-2004, 10:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for all the info, Steve!!

Old 05-04-2004, 12:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Yes thanks to all for the info. I guess Im setting up a QT tank out of fear. I have seen so many people have issues on here with ick and if I going to have a tank. might as well go all out. I too do not really have room for a QT tank but I found my back room is perfect as not to many people in and out and its out of sight. I bought a 20 long tank with a heater and Penguin biowheel. I went and spent $8 on 2 big peices of PVC and threw them in the tank. Also I thought ahead and just bought 2 extra sounges for like $3 and keep them in the sump....
I thought I had ick when I first started setting up my tank and my 3 dominoes seemed to have spots on them, then they didnt, then they did, then they didnt....this went on for 2-3 months and the spots would disappear and then show up again overnight. I finally concluded this couldnt be ick as ick doesnt operate like this from what Ive been told. I think it was setiment that was attaching itself to the fish overnight as it was primarily on my clowns. By the time I got home the spots would be gone....but it did scare me enough to start a QT tank. I have 5 fish in my tank and have dodged the ick bullet so far but I dont want to tank another chance. The tank has been set up since 11-03 with no problems. Couple of other questions....
1) When doing water changes in Qt tank, do I use new RO water or water from my main tank?
2) Any thoughts on the Regal? Ive heard they are really hard to keep due to ick....needless to say I dont like the ick word as you can tell!!
3) Since my tank has been set up since 11-03, I assume if ick was present it would have shown itself?? I do all of the right things such as 1 per month water change and watch my levels weekly.
Thanks again for all the info!! You guys are the best.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:01 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Can I just hang the needed sponge in the tank a week before it needed to go to the QT tank? I don't have a sump, I guess i can put it in the back of my Emperor 400, or just store one there...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com