QT Tank....another question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 20 gallong QT tank set up now for about 3 weeks that I had a blenny in for a week or so and now he is out. Since that time I have done 3 water changes ranging from 10-30%. I seeded the tank with a spounge from my main tank and have a bio wheel for filteration. also have a peice of LR in there as well. (and yes I will take it out if I have to medicate the tank for any reason)
I checked my levels the other night and have 0 ammonia and like 10-20 trates and very little trites. Should I be concerned with the trates and trites before I put any new fish in the QT tank? I set up the tank for this reason....new fish. I just dont want to put a new fish in the QT and have them die. Any suggestions?

fishman said:
Should I be concerned with the trates and trites before I put any new fish in the QT tank? I set up the tank for this reason....new fish. I just dont want to put a new fish in the QT and have them die. Any suggestions?
I would do another water change (or more) to eliminate the nitrites. The nitrates will go down with them. Be sure when keeping fish in a QT you use a small airhose to syphon out detritus and uneaten foods daily. This will greatly cut down on water quality issues. If the fish is otherwise healthy and eating well, try only feeding every second day.

If you do ever need to treat the QT and you remove the rock, do not place it in the main. Either use a seperate container or let it air dry. Any parasite may be transfered even if it was only a short time. Transfering anything btween QT and display is not advisable even if you may think it to be safe :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom