Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2003, 11:02 AM   #11
steve-s

The advantages of using the display tanks water far outweight any negative effects of bringing a few theronts with it. The less stressed the fish are by the transfer to the QT the better their chances of recovery. I would also not recommend the dips. They are even more stressful to the animal if not performed correctly.

As Hoops has stated above, more info is needed about the fish before a treatment can be suggested.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-03-2003, 11:02 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am a beginner who is in the process of battling ich as well. I decided to treat my case by using hyposalinity in a 10 gallone qt tank based on posts here. I also liked the idea since I felt I didn't have to monitor copper levels and I could use a standard carbon filter to remove ammonia (or at least I was hoping this would work). I placed a yellow tang covered with white spots into the tank about 30 days ago and he seems to be doing fine. Also, I have checked the ammonia levels several times and they haven't come into the measurable range. Is there a reason folks aren't recommending it on this thread?

Old 09-03-2003, 11:41 AM   #13
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by awillemd1
Is there a reason folks aren't recommending it on this thread?
We do not yet know the types of fish to be treated as yet. Boneless fish cannot be treated with hyposalinity.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-03-2003, 01:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

If I was to set up a show tank, should I also be setting up a QT tank as well? Could I then set up the QT tank with LR to help stabalize the water conditions when fish are added? If so, how would I continue to feed the organisms in the LR?
Old 09-03-2003, 04:25 PM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm64971
If I was to set up a show tank, should I also be setting up a QT tank as well?
Having a permanant QT is not necessary but can save you alot of hassles and concerns when/if one is needed. >>Here<< is a quick reference on an easy set up.

Quote:
Could I then set up the QT tank with LR to help stabalize the water conditions when fish are added? If so, how would I continue to feed the organisms in the LR?
No LR, substrate or other absorbant sources should be used. Simple short PVC pieces or other easy to clean items for hiding places should be used. A basic sponge or HOB filter should take care of the biological process.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ick, qt tank, sick, sick fish, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com