Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2005, 04:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Wow! Not sure, but if it takes metal out of the water, well copper is a metal so...
If they are showing symtoms once more, I would hesitate to nuke them with copper again. That could be rather rough on them.
Perhaps you could use hyposalinity this time. I have used thit treatment with excellent results and it is much easier on the fish. Here is an excellent article on the treatment. A good refractometer is required to do it correctly.
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...osalinity.html
Is there still copper in the water? That could also be irritating them.
I would not return them to the main (sorry to say) until you are sure they are cured.

Old 01-05-2005, 04:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Well, I went and got a copper test kit last night and tested the copper in the water and instead of it actually being too low, it was a little high??? So I guess the Prime did not remove the copper. But now I am really confused on why my tang is starting to scrap again. I actually decided that since all the fish have been treated for a little over 30 days that it just may be the copper starting to cause skin problems so I just took them all out of the copper last night and put them back in the main tank. If I have to remove them all again then I will just do it at that point. When I put the fish back in the main system they all did pretty well, but immediately the cleaner shrimp jump on the tang and was going to town on something. I'll just wait and see what the next couple of days show.

Old 01-05-2005, 04:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe it was copper irritation. Time will tell. Would have been better to run GAC to rid of the copper and leave them in the qt tank for observation for a few weeks, but whats done is done.
Will keep fingers crossed for you!!!
Old 01-07-2005, 12:48 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with Kurt. Run some carbon and see if that helps. Keep them in QT for a few more weeks to make sure the main tank is fallow of fish for 6 - 8 weeks. That will kill the parasite in the main tank so they don't get reinfested when you return them.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:28 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hello:

Thanks for all the help with my Ich problem I have had my fish back in the main tank now for two weeks and everyone looks healthy. How long will it take before I know for sure that the Ich outbreak is cured? Also, I have another question, this may be for another forum but I am having a horrible problem with my substrate growing brown algea all over it. My water quality is great, it just looks bad. The last couple of water changes I did good gravel siphonings and it just seems to come back quickly. I have about 70 to 80 small reef cleaners (Crabs, snails, one sea cucumber). The one thing I don't have is a "Protein Skimmer". Do protein skimmers help with this type of stuff or do they just keep the water quality good for the fish????? Any suggestions would be great.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:47 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have had my fish back in the main tank now for two weeks and everyone looks healthy. How long will it take before I know for sure that the Ich outbreak is cured?
Wow, not long enough. 8O The minimum fishless time is 4 weeks, 6 weeks in the safest time. Keep an eye on you fish, the parasite may still remain in your system.
As for the algae, what are your water parameters? Yes a skimmer does help, but will not eliminate it. Do you use tap water?
Old 01-17-2005, 05:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I did have them out for 4 weeks. I had to put them back in the main tank because they were showing signs of distress. I am keeping a close eye on them. Wouldn't I have seen some problems in two weeks if the parasite was still active?????
Old 01-17-2005, 05:11 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Whew, I'm glad to hear you did 4 weeks but its still on the light side of the treatment period. It may not been enough time for all the parasites to go through their life cycle and die off completely, that is the concern. With 6 weeks, you are more assured of that. Unfortunately it only takes one parasite to start the whole thing over again.
I would keep the qt tank up for a couple of weeks, just in case.
Keeping fingers crossed for you.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:04 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Wouldn't I have seen some problems in two weeks if the parasite was still active?????
There are 3 stages to the Ich parasite. It takes 4 weeks or more to cycle through all 3 stages. The parasites feed and grow for a few days, then drop off the fish. They lie on the tank bottom in an encysted state for several weeks and mature. Each cyst then ruptures, releasing dozens to hundreds of new parasites. This is a short lived free-swimming stage. If the parasite does not find a fish host, this is when it will die. A re-infestation may be minor to begin with but will get worse as time goes by.

Why were the fish showing signs of distress? Were you doing a daily pwc? Were you testing the parameters to make sure everything was in range?
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:16 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
There are 3 stages to the Ich parasite. It takes 4 weeks or more to cycle through all 3 stages. The parasites feed and grow for a few days, then drop off the fish. They lie on the tank bottom in an encysted state for several weeks and mature. Each cyst then ruptures, releasing dozens to hundreds of new parasites. This is a short lived free-swimming stage. If the parasite does not find a fish host, this is when it will die. A re-infestation may be minor to begin with but will get worse as time goes by.
Well put!!

Tags
qt tank, set up, tan, tank set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com