Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

QT Tank West Chester PA

Hey I know this is a long shot but I am pretty sure my lemonpeel has ich (he is showing early signs of "flashing" or rubbing against the sand then hidding back in his spot in the live rock to feel safe). I don't have a QT tank set up and only have my 55gal display tank (which I don't want to do ineffective treatment in. Does anyone in the west Chester/ Exton Pa area have a QT tank set up and wouldn't mind helping me treat me lemonpeel and two clowns? Or does anyone haw an old 10 tank in the area that they aren't using and would let me have to set up as a QT? Please help

Old 07-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you have any Petco stores near you? They are having their dollar per gallon sale.
Also saw a sale flyer recently ( can't remember what store ) for a 10 gallon setup for $14.99 tank , hood , filter and heater
Also you could try craigslist.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can you remember where you saw that sale flyer. That would be perfect right now because I'm strapped for cash at the moment
Old 07-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Petsmart has a 10g for 14.99. Petco is running the dollar per gal tank sale now till friday I believe. Picked up a 40 in Reading this morn not too far from west chester final cost was 42 and change. Can't beat it
Old 07-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scelzin1 View Post
Can you remember where you saw that sale flyer. That would be perfect right now because I'm strapped for cash at the moment
I can't remember where I saw it. I am at work now but could look and see if I can find it when I get home tonight if it didn't already go to the recycling center. I'm afraid it is probably gone.

Petco sale ends on the 27th of this month , I picked up a 55 gallon and a 20 long to use for a sump from them. They had plenty of 5 , 10 , 20 , 40 and 55 gallon when I was there last week.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't see the 10 gal kit on petsmart a website are you sure? Also after I get the tank set up for QT can someone help describe in detail for me how to properly treat ich using hypo salinity ? I have read many articles and posts on here , but my question is if taking my fish from the DT (with specific gravity of currently 1.021) and giving them a freshwater dip for a few minutes, and then placing them in a QT tank with specific gravity of around 1.009, wouldn't the rapid change in salinity/specific gravity also shock or stress my fish and possibly make things worse or kill them? Does it have to be a gradual decline in specific gravity and start out with specific gravity that matches my display tank and gradually lower it with daily water changes? Or am I missing something?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

Got it. It was a store called statewide pets here in Connecticut. Sorry that it won't help you though
Old 07-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's ok scuba dude thanks for trying to help. Im stilling for a cheap QT. Can anyone help me with my question about using hyposalinity as a treatment?
Old 07-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
That's ok scuba dude thanks for trying to help. Im stilling for a cheap QT. Can anyone help me with my question about using hyposalinity as a treatment?
Never done it but this link should help.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/hyp...posalinity.htm
Old 07-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you. I hope this works. Do you think treatment with copper medication would be best or hyposalinity. I have researched both and the process they entail and still can't decide which I prefer. I have a 20 gal long tank I found I am going to use to treat my 2 clowns and lemonpeel in (regardless of which method) and leave my DT fallow for at least 6 weeks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com