QT Tank West Chester PA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scelzin1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey I know this is a long shot but I am pretty sure my lemonpeel has ich (he is showing early signs of "flashing" or rubbing against the sand then hidding back in his spot in the live rock to feel safe). I don't have a QT tank set up and only have my 55gal display tank (which I don't want to do ineffective treatment in. Does anyone in the west Chester/ Exton Pa area have a QT tank set up and wouldn't mind helping me treat me lemonpeel and two clowns? Or does anyone haw an old 10 tank in the area that they aren't using and would let me have to set up as a QT? Please help

Do you have any Petco stores near you? They are having their dollar per gallon sale.
Also saw a sale flyer recently ( can't remember what store ) for a 10 gallon setup for $14.99 tank , hood , filter and heater
Also you could try craigslist.

Can you remember where you saw that sale flyer. That would be perfect right now because I'm strapped for cash at the moment

Petsmart has a 10g for 14.99. Petco is running the dollar per gal tank sale now till friday I believe. Picked up a 40 in Reading this morn not too far from west chester final cost was 42 and change. Can't beat it

Can you remember where you saw that sale flyer. That would be perfect right now because I'm strapped for cash at the moment

I can't remember where I saw it. I am at work now but could look and see if I can find it when I get home tonight if it didn't already go to the recycling center. I'm afraid it is probably gone.

Petco sale ends on the 27th of this month , I picked up a 55 gallon and a 20 long to use for a sump from them. They had plenty of 5 , 10 , 20 , 40 and 55 gallon when I was there last week.

I don't see the 10 gal kit on petsmart a website are you sure? Also after I get the tank set up for QT can someone help describe in detail for me how to properly treat ich using hypo salinity ? I have read many articles and posts on here , but my question is if taking my fish from the DT (with specific gravity of currently 1.021) and giving them a freshwater dip for a few minutes, and then placing them in a QT tank with specific gravity of around 1.009, wouldn't the rapid change in salinity/specific gravity also shock or stress my fish and possibly make things worse or kill them? Does it have to be a gradual decline in specific gravity and start out with specific gravity that matches my display tank and gradually lower it with daily water changes? Or am I missing something?

Got it. It was a store called statewide pets here in Connecticut. Sorry that it won't help you though

That's ok scuba dude thanks for trying to help. Im stilling for a cheap QT. Can anyone help me with my question about using hyposalinity as a treatment?

Thank you. I hope this works. Do you think treatment with copper medication would be best or hyposalinity. I have researched both and the process they entail and still can't decide which I prefer. I have a 20 gal long tank I found I am going to use to treat my 2 clowns and lemonpeel in (regardless of which method) and leave my DT fallow for at least 6 weeks

I would go with a copper medication, only because I would be afraid to mess up hypo! You need a refractometer and it requires constant monitoring. I would make sure its ich before starting any treatment, do you have any pictures? Remember you need to keep up with water changes so you don't see a spike in amm in the QT and to Lear your tank fish less for 6-8 weeks. Good luck!

I can't get a picture of my lemonpeel because he will not leave the live rock where he feels safe (which is understandable). The only time he comes out is for a minute or two as he displays the following systems. No white spots or even weight loss, but loss of appetite, irregular swimming patterns(not swimming around calmly but is swimming like he is frantic and scared and shakes vigorously after swimming every few inches),flashing or rubbing against the sand like he is tryin to get something off of him. Does this sound like ich to you guys? Maybe the early stages? Maybe I am catching it early before any spots develop? If it sounds like something else let me know.

Does anyone know If the symptoms I've mentioned sound like ich? Perhaps early stages? Like I said no physical wounds or even white spots but he has irregular swimming patterns(frantic like swimming and "flashing" against the sand. Loss of appetite and he will not come out of the live rock.

My lemonpeel passed away this morning and didn't make it. It was to late for treatment. But I also don't think it was ich because it all happened so fast. She died and its only been since Tuesday when I noticed her first starting to rub against the sand. I'm thinking velvet. What do you guys think?

Velvet kills quick, so that could be the culprit, but there are other things out there too. Did it look like it had a thin layer of stuff on it? Hard to describe, but kinda like someone rolled the fish in a powdery substance. How do the clowns look?

The thing to consider now, is that regardless of what it was, if something was in the tank, it is still in there. If you add new fish, they could come in healthy and end up dying from catching whatever it is. Leaving the tank fallow for about 8 weeks allows whatever it was to die off by not having a host to keep the life cycle going. Its no fun having an empty tank, but it clears up the problem. I am just getting my 75g back up and running after a Velvet outbreak earlier this year.

I am definetly letting my tank sit fallow for 6 weeks. Only other fish I had in there were two clowns who I took out and am now treating them as a precautionary measure. But yes her whole body turned white but she could have lost color from not eating anything at all. The tip of her dorsal fin also turned brownish/gold. Sound like velvet. Ill post a pic of the body when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom