QT-Watch n wait or Med?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hammer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I was bit by the yellow tang ick attack and have setup a 120 gal to replace my 65 gal (Liverock only for now) Question when I get more fish and QT would you watch and wait or med just in case? To med w/o cause would be hard on the fish im thinking. If not how long untill I could be sure all is clear for the main tank.

This is a question I have also been debating. But "theoretically", I have read that a fish can build immunity to ich; where it will not show signs; but can carry the host. If that is the case; when it is released to the display tank; then it can spread the parasite to the rest of the tank, right?

True fish can aquire a short term immunity to ich but it does not remian so indefinately. Typically most stressful situations will bring about the onset of the parasite as the fishs' immune system is lowered but only if the parasite is present in the first place. It does not just appear from nowhere. :wink:

One of the great benefits of a QT is the fish is in a controlled environment where it can receive treatment immediately. The problem with automatically treating for ich is the fish may have something completely different and often meds cannot be mixed and one type must be removed before the proper med needed can be started. This can dramatically increase the time it takes to properly treat the fish and lead to it's loss.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom