QTing wrasses and gobys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrasse326

Aquarium Advice Freak
I read somewhere before not to qt these fish wrasses abd gobys. That they don't do well with copper and no sand. I've read that mandarin gobys can't get ich. Is that true? Trying to figure out what to do when I get a wrasse or goby. Do you preventively treat for ich like any other fish? Do you quarantine at all? Do you quarantine and simply just watch them?

I've read people get a plastic tub that's shallow like food boxes and fill it with new sand and put it in tank for them when qt them. I've never heard if they don't get ich I thought all fish could get it.

Mandarins and most wrasses are pretty resistant to ich because they tend to produce a heavy (compared to most other reef fish) slime coat. They aren't by any means immune at all. Not all wrasses need a sand bed, but leopards, tamarins, and those of the haliocheres genus do. (There might be some others I'm forgetting.) You can use a Tupperware bowl with sand in QT to give them a place to burrow. Lined (six, four, eight, mystery, etc) , fairy and flasher wrasses do not burrow.

Wrasses do fine with copper IME if it is properly measured and administered. Many fairy wrasses and flasher wrasses IME are also very prone to internal parasites (more so than ich) and IMO should be treated with Prazipro for them as well.

As far as prophylactic treatment, that's up to you. I do it with copper and Prazipro (one med at a time for a week each).

Ok thanks for the info! I have prazipro and cupramine so I will do that when I get one.

I have a Solon fairy wrasse who's in quarantine right now, last day if prazi pro and has not shown any signs of ich. Should I still treat it with cupramine?

J_hooligan what did you end up doing?

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My wrasse died some how. He was swimming weird like looking straight up. My blenny was fine though

Were u doing any copper meds when it died? Or just still doing the prazipro

Hm. Wonder if it was the cupramine that caused it. Because that's what I had heard was wrasses were sensitive to copper which is why I posted this thread. But other people were saying it was fine to do it..

I've currently got a mandrain with ich and I'm trying to help em and also a rusty angel and 2 clowns also with ich and my yellow tang just died this afternoon

Back
Top Bottom