Quarantine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi Guys,

I've had an empty quarantine running for a few months now, with a filter in it and 4 large PVC tubes for bacteria (and a heater).

I've been dropping in food every 2-3 days.

There's been just one waterchange done in it since it was started about 4 months ago, so therefore there's a lot of rotted food stuck to the bottom and on the fittings etc. (just looks like brown powder, it was frozen gamma/mysis etc.). This will be almost impossible to get out, so it'd have to stay in there.

I'm just wondering, if I now do a 50% waterchange, do you think I'll still be ok to use the QT for a new fish?

I havent tested my readings for a couple of months, but the last time I checked ammonia was 0 and nitrite was about 2. I just checked today, and ammonia is 0 and nitrite is also 0. pH is fine and so is SG.

After the waterchange, do you think I'll be ok to go ahead with putting a new fish in it? It's 15gal by the way.

Cheers!

Mark

I think it should be fine... The food acted as a protein for the bacterial action. Without the food rotting your beneficial bacteria would have died and you would have had problems using the tank as a QT for any period of time. Just don't overload it...

I'm just going to put one small fish in (Royal Gramma).

I guess the fish wont eat the rotten food thats in there??

Back
Top Bottom