Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quarantine tank

I have a fish that i suspect has ICK. I want to quarantine it but I don't have a quarantine tank up and running. Right now i Have him and a clownfish in a 10 gallon tank with inverts and LS/LR. I know that the copper will kill the inverts and The only other tank I have is a 20 gallon one. What should I do? I need to treat him now before he dies

Old 09-18-2011, 02:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is the 20 gallon empty or set up? If its set up you could move your inverts over to that one.
Or maybe you have a friend who can care for them while you treat.
Also you should post pics so people can tell if it's ich for sure

Old 09-18-2011, 02:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Seeing as you don't have a QT set up...see if you can find someone who does and will let your clown have a shot. You could also try your hand at putting some tank water in that 20g and making sure its agitated while you dose your cure in there

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Don't know anyone that can watch the inverts. The 20 gallon is not setup right now. In fact, I was gonna move them into the 20 gallon. Could I just put the inverts in a really small tank (I think less than
a gallon) and take out everything in my existing tank and just treat the two fish in there? Can I still use some if the water if it might have ICK in it? I'm really new to the sw aquarium hobby, so I appreciate all the advice and don't know that much about it.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:04 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your inverts cannot get ick so you don't have to worry about that. Idk if it'd be safe to keep them in something as small as a one gallon tho bc it will be extremely prone to fluctuations. What is your tank set up right now? As far as sand and live rock and filters/powerheads
Old 09-18-2011, 03:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you treat the tank you can't put the inverts back in, nor use the rock in a tank with inverts; the residual coral is deadly.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Heres photos of my damsel, hope they aren't blurry. also, his fins are sometimes frayed a little but heal in a day or two

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-749031974.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	52277

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3946647294.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	52278
Old 09-18-2011, 03:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That little damsel gets too big and far too aggressive for a 10 gallon. Not a good choice in the long run for anything under 55 in my opinion; Lots of more colorful, friendly fish that could take its place (though the fact that its fins are frayed may mean it either gets bullied or has nutrient deficiencies).

Old 09-18-2011, 03:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Could I just use the 20 gallon when I put them back to non quarantine tank? Right now I am using just a crappy aqua tech filter and air pump from walmart. I have the air stone thing too. As far as sand, we got sand from the beach by my house ( I live in Hawaii) and the live rock also from beach.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:03 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

What should I do? I've been putting it off but I don't want my damsel to die yet don't want to misdiagnose it.

Tags
quarantine, quarantine tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com