Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2011, 01:04 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4wheels2
Dropping from 1.023 to 1.012 over 24 hours is not too fast. Reversing the salinity at the end of the treatment is where you have to be careful and it should take several days if not a full week to do.

Low salinity is very relaxing and requires less energy for the fish to breathe. It also creates more oxygen in the water, again making it easier on the fish.

But this is all just my experience and research
Like I said, I have no experience in the matter. Kudos to you for doing your homework lol

Old 11-21-2011, 01:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallinCrew10 View Post
Like I said. I have no experience in the matter. Kudos to you for doing your homework lol
That's a good thing - it means you're doing something right lol.

If I would've done more research in the beginning, I wouldn't be in this situation now, and I wouldn't be out a couple hundred dollars worth of fish

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

That's a good thing - it means you're doing something right lol.

If I would've done more research in the beginning, I wouldn't be in this situation now, and I wouldn't be out a couple hundred dollars worth of fish
You need to keep the salinity below 1.010, 1.009 ideal, for four weeks AFTER the last spot is noticed. here is a great link on hypo, and definitely have and use amquel if tank is not cycled with a sponge from DT.

http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/hyposalinity.html
Old 11-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyfish View Post
You need to keep the salinity below 1.010, 1.009 ideal, for four weeks AFTER the last spot is noticed. here is a great link on hypo, and definitely have and use amquel if tank is not cycled with a sponge from DT.

ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site - Reference - Hyposalinity Treatment
Ok, thank you for the link! I appreciate it!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea

Ok, thank you for the link! I appreciate it!
It saved my two clowns after ich killed the rest of my tank. They seemed to be calm in the hypo and did great. Now I have a fully cycled QT with two new fish being treated with copper this time. Good luck, oh, get a ammonia badge too, very helpful at a glance and they last up to a year.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:18 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyfish View Post

ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site - Reference - Hyposalinity Treatment
I've read just about every hyposalinity treatment link on the web lol. They range from 1.008 - 1.015 to treat for ich, I really haven't seen any consistency. Last time I treated with 1.012 and all was fine and those fish are still ich free. Any lower than that and I would be worried, especially since all fish do not have the same tolerance for "freshwater" conditions.

Just remember, the lower your salinity, the lower your alkalinity, pH and all else. Definitely check parameters daily. One wrong slip to 1.007/8 and you could kill all your fish

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

I've read just about every hyposalinity treatment link on the web lol. They range from 1.008 - 1.015 to treat for ich, I really haven't seen any consistency. Last time I treated with 1.012 and all was fine and those fish are still ich free. Any lower than that and I would be worried, especially since all fish do not have the same tolerance for "freshwater" conditions.

Just remember, the lower your salinity, the lower your alkalinity, pH and all else. Definitely check parameters daily. One wrong slip to 1.007/8 and you could kill all your fish
The salinity will only go up with evaporation, so once you get it at 1.009-1.010 you mix new water to that, and draw a line and replace with RO/DI water. No chance to go lower unless you dump a lot of water in beyond your evaporation.

Yes, there are a lot of things on the web, I try to go with a method that experienced aquarist recommend. That is how I was led to the link I provided.

Your ph must be buffered and measured, it tells you that in the article. I buffered mine with baking soda and measured it daily. No problems, two clown fish.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure if anyone mentioned this or not, as I skimmed through the posts.

When you treat ich, you must treat the entire tank, not just the fish you see spots on. Setting up a QT tank for this purpose won't get rid of the problem.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich, quarantine, quarantine tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com