Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Best way to kill Ick
Copper power 1 12.50%
Cupramine 3 37.50%
Hyposalinity 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

would you say that this information is pretty dead on?

Cause, Treatment, and Prevention of Ich in Saltwater Fish

Old 04-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is good information. I've seen other sites that talk about all the myths and misunderstandings. They talk about how Some people think that freshwater dips are a cure or cleaner wrasses or cleaner shrimp work and explain why those things really don't work.

Copper or Hyposalinity work to cure the fish. A fallow DT takes care of cleaning up the environment that they are going back into.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

You realy have to many fish in the 20 gallon you will be going through alot of water changes to keep the ammonia down to 0 or it will burn the fishes gills and not to mention the stress of a way to small environment and having ick all combined are a recipe for failure imo ...Maybe get another tank and split them up half and half ...
Old 04-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #24

Once again i can not keep the ammonia down in the tank!! I am having to do water changes everyday and i am using alot of salt!! i am planning to start carbon back into the qt on the 8th or 9th will this help out with the ammonia at all?

also I get it its alot of fish i get it!! stop writing that there is two many fish unless your gonna send me your tank for a qt!! i got it the first 3 times!!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

No the carbon won't help ...I understand you can't get a bigger tank which sometimes you just got to make due .. only thing I know to do in your situation is to keep up on the water changes I understand you are going through a lot of salt but you are in a situation were your qt tank just can't support the bioload...
Old 04-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #27

update

Day 18 all fish are doing good swimming around, The temperature does work for marine aquarium also so i have the empty dt at around 85-86 degrees. I tried to move the 3 tangs into a new tank but they started to get really stressed out and losing color so they went back into the original tank. I have dropped off the copper and am now running carbon thru the filter, I have been doing water changes ever 2-3 days instead of everyday. The fish will be returning to the dt on April 25-April 29 depending on the stress of the fish. None of the fish currently have Ich also.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

So the fish are going back into DT without leaving that fallow for a month and without observing them for a month after the last spot disappeared? If so, odds are good that there will still be Ich present.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #29

If you read it right then it says they will return at the end of this month.they were put it QT last month by the end of this month the tank will be empty for a little over a month, i would leave it longer but the fish are stressing out in this tank probably
Old 04-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy9843 View Post
Day 18 all fish are doing good swimming around, The temperature does work for marine aquarium also so i have the empty dt at around 85-86 degrees. I tried to move the 3 tangs into a new tank but they started to get really stressed out and losing color so they went back into the original tank. I have dropped off the copper and am now running carbon thru the filter, I have been doing water changes ever 2-3 days instead of everyday. The fish will be returning to the dt on April 25-April 29 depending on the stress of the fish. None of the fish currently have Ich also.
Glad to hear they're doing better. I went through this last summer myself. I do heartily recommend that once your fish return to the DT, you keep the QT up and let it finish cycling. I use a 10 to isolate any new fish for at least 2 weeks now so I don't have a repeat. I just keep mine up and do a 100% water change at the end of the QT period, and then leave lights off to let any algae die back and it's ready for any new acquisitions. If the fish is coming from a source known to have ich in their tanks, I go ahead use copper prophalactically from the get go.

Tags
ick, quarantine, quarantine tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com