Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Awesome. Thanks. I will definitely check some of those out.

One more question, if you feel like it:

How can I control the ammonia in the QT tank? I used copper to treat the ich. I see the hyposalinity is the preferred treatment, but (clearly) I am in the learning-from-my-mistakes phase here. As I understand it, the copper kills the bacteria that eliminate the ammonia, which means that ammonia builds up pretty quickly. Can I just keep treating with something like Cycle? That's what I have been doing so far, along with fairly frequent water changes. Unfortunately, water changes will screw up the amount of copper in the QT, which sort of defeats the purpose in this case, no? I feel like I'm almost certainly not doing this right.

I suspect that this is covered in some of the links above, but I'm not through all of that yet. If you can skip me ahead to the punch line, I'd sure appreciate it.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Also, I noticed you only QT'd the fish for 2 weeks. You really need to extend that to 30 days to be sure they are free of parasites and most diseases.

Some people treat in QT with Prazipro or Hyposalinity

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks, Cmor. The 4-week period makes sense to me. As I mentioned, my best guess is that it's the CBB that brought the ich into the tank. If I'm right about that, then 2 weeks certainly isn't enough. Plus, being a Giants fan is presumptive evidence of good judgment on your part. So, I'm favorably inclined to believe what you say.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill P View Post
... Unfortunately, water changes will screw up the amount of copper in the QT, which sort of defeats the purpose in this case, no? I feel like I'm almost certainly not doing this right....
Nope... sounds like you're doing it right. Keeping the copper levels in the QT at the correct concentration is part of the battle.

Tags
quarantine, quarantine tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com