Quarintine tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
(oh great, hes asking another question.)

Hey gang,

I know I am asking a huge amount of questions and for that, I am sorry.

Anyways, I am a bit confused by what to do here. I understand the fully the importance of a QT but how can someone on a strict budget begin to afford one?

a second filtration system, a second protien skimmer, a second lighting unit, tank, hood, it gets very expensive very fast. what do you guys use for a QT? and if you dont use one, what are your reasons?

I know I am asking a huge amount of questions and for that, I am sorry

Don't be, that's what we are here for, and that's how you learn ;)

Depends on the size of the budget, I give plans for starting a qt for about 30-40 dollars in the quarantine article.

Read the article ;) QT's are much more spartan than your display tank.

I just bought a 10 gallon setup at Pets Mart for $ 34.88, tank, hood, light and filter. I had a old heater left over, a couple of PVC couplings for the fish to hide. Walmart has it for $ 49.95.
My problem is the following:
After my last addition to my 180g, a Purple Pseudochromis, came down with fungus and is now MIA, and I have two more grey hairs :(, I promised myself never to add another fish without a QT. Now I am struggling to keep that tank in check, it's sooo small and unforgiving.... but so far two Fire Fish are breathing in there.
My question :
What do I do when I'm done QT'ing....????
Bag 'em up like the LFS and float them? Net 'em and throw 'em in the big Tub?
I really don't know....

I just bought a 10 gallon setup at Pets Mart for $ 34.88, tank, hood, light and filter. I had a old heater left over, a couple of PVC couplings for the fish to hide. Walmart has it for $ 49.95.
My problem is the following:
After my last addition to my 180g, a Purple Pseudochromis, came down with fungus and is now MIA, and I have two more grey hairs :(, I promised myself never to add another fish without a QT. Now I am struggling to keep that tank in check, it's sooo small and unforgiving.... but so far two Fire Fish are breathing in there.
My question :
What do I do when I'm done QT'ing....????
Bag 'em up like the LFS and float them? Net 'em and throw 'em in the big Tub?
I really don't know....

Agreed with above. A 10 gallon is a small investment when you consider the fish that you will save by using it.
IMO, you don't need a protein skimmer on a qt tank. If you need to treat with meds, you would need to shut it down anyway.
Just a basic tanks with a basic filter and heater is all thats needed. You do not want substrate, just a couple if pvc elbow for the fish to hide.
Please, keep the questions coming. From what I have seen, they are good ones and we can all learn from them.
Cheers!! :wink:

I would think that you would want your QT tank to "mimic" as much as possible your main tank. This way when you transfer fish from one to the other it's not such a big change for them.

I would think that you would keep all the levels as close as possible:

Salinity
PH
Tempature
Nitrates
and probably others that I don't know about...LOL

That is what I am doing right now. I have tried to keep my QT running at the same levels as my main tank. I haven't added to my tank in a while, (I have decide that it was better to make sure they have a perfect as possible home first by increasing the quality of the water) but I check the levels in the QT as often as I do the main tank to make sure they are as close as possible to each other.

If I am wrong about this QT thing, please someone set me straight..I get outta control sometimes..LOL

Mike

Back to the question I asked before:
What do you do when you're done QT'ing?
How do you introduce the fish to the main tank?

Back to the question I asked before:
What do you do when you're done QT'ing?
How do you introduce the fish to the main tank?

As Sparky mentioned, if the levels (particularly temp) are close, I recommend a drip acclimation and add the fish. I don't usually use a bag (but have been known to when that is all that's handy) but a bucket or large tupperware container.

Back
Top Bottom