Question about a tang ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a yellow tang in my tank that has been there for a few weeks now. Every now and then I notice red on him... almost like where he's rubbed to irritaion or something.... but I never see him rubbing.... any reason why my yellow tang has red highlights?????????

I have seen this once on a purple top psuedochromis i used to have(dont worry he didnt die :) ). Any way it was a reddish area on his jaw. I left it alone and it went away by itself. I think he must have ran into a sharp rock or soemthing. But it could be something totally different. Can you still see the yellow underneath the red or is it solid red?

If the red marks look like long racing stripes, it could be bacterial or possibley from a low pH problem. In either case a few large water changes with well aged SW should help that and clear it up. Check your pH later on in the day and post the results to be sure.

If the redness is mainly around fins and such, it would definately be bacterial but I would start with the same water changes and be sure the fish is fed with vitamin soaked foods to help boost it's natural immune response.

If after a few good water changes there is no improvement over the next week, you may need to QT and treat with an antibiotic. I would start with the water changes first though.

Cheers
Steve

It is mainly around the fins.... they've been comming and going but seem to be more so as time goes by.... I'll check the PH and so on..... what type of vitamins are you speaking of??? this is my first SW tank.......

Comfort
I had the same issue with a yellow wrasse (dont worry he died by jumping out of the tank and not from the redness). I started adding vitamin C, selcon and Zoe to the food and freq water changes (small ones) and it cleared right up....his redness was around the same area as well. I dont know what vitamin did the trick but I would start with vitamin C

c0mf0rt said:
what type of vitamins are you speaking of??? this is my first SW tank.......
You should be able to find them at your LFS easy enough. I would really try finding something high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym] like Selcon or Zoecon but Zoe or Vita-chem will do as well. If you have a decent health food store near you, >>Beta Glucan<< is also an option.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom