Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2004, 07:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
question about hyposalinity treatment

I have move my fish to qt for ich treatment and decided to use hypo. I recieved my refractometer today and am ready to go.
I understand the spg needs to be raised very slowly, but what about when you lower it? How many points a day should I target? I guess my target level for treatment is 0.010.
Thanks

Old 07-19-2004, 07:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would go slow just to be safe a few points a day should be good ! but others that have done this can chime in

Old 07-19-2004, 07:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Target 1.009, and I personally don't think it's all that stressful for them if you do it over a couple days but you can take longer if you like.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 07:23 PM   #4
steve-s

The salinity can be lowered in segements every 12ish hours. It should only take about 2 days total. Lowering the salinity is much less stressful for the fish than increasing it. 16 ppt is the recommended level but 14 ppt will help prevent an increase in salinity above the treatment range due to evaporation.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-19-2004, 07:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How long does it take to treat ich this way? Just curious.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The lifecycle is about 4 weeks long, so you need to keep at it for at least that.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys, the temptation is to use cupramine, but they were all treated with copper earlier in the year for velvet. I just don't feel right nuking them again.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

here's a helpful site you may have seen: http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...osalinity.html
from that page:

"The goal is to granularly reduce the salinity of the water to between 12 and 14ppt and leave it at that salinity for at least 4 weeks but preferably 6 weeks. Basically continue the treatment for at least 4 weeks after the last spots disappeared.

The salinity must be lowered gradually to give the fish time to adjust to the lower salinity and more importantly ensures the bacteria in the biological filter can adjust. It should take around 2 days to get from 35ppt to 14ppt.

Your starting point should be between 1.025 and 1.027. Replace about one fifth of the volume with RO, RO/DI or aged freshwater that has been well aerated. Repeat this 12, 24 and 36 hours later, monitoring the specific gravity along the way. After the fourth water change the specific gravity should be 1.010 or pretty close. Wait a few hours to make the final adjustment to get down to 1.009. Note that you can estimate the resulting specific gravity. If you are changing one fifth of the water and the current specific gravity is 1.025 the result will be:"

FWIW I have a fish in 10g qt now being treated with hypo, it took me about 2-3 days to get down to 1.010...problem being I got a refractometer and found I was actually at 1.014!! I am now down to 13ppt and just top off the tank every morning. Good thing is hypo allows biofiltration, I have some spare lr in there and no worry of ammonia.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, thats just what I did, replace 8 gallons in my 40 gallon qt tank tonight and will repeat in the morning.
I just noticed my ph is running at 7.85. Was thinking about buffering, but I think I will wait. Don't want to make a soup in there.
Boy copper is easier.
I have a refractometer, found out my swing arm is a bout .003 low. Would have been worthless. Crap and I jusr check my ammonia, 1.5. Time for another water change.....here we go.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:17 AM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarryshark
I just noticed my ph is running at 7.85. Was thinking about buffering, but I think I will wait. Don't want to make a soup in there.
Don't wait. Slowly add some buffer to get the pH back up. This is quite normal while reducing the salinity and througout the entire process. Water changes will only help somewhat but not completely. Also check the alk if possible.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
eat, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com