question about ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chapin874

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just place a blue tang into my tank and it has developed spots on it and i think its ich. I also have two clowns in the tank and they have been there for awhile, how is it that the tang can get ich but my clowns show no sign of it

Lots of times, more established fish have a much stronger immune system than recently introduced fish. however, this is not to say they won't get it. I would get a QT set-up, and get your tang treated, without treating the main tank, before the clowns do get it. If they do, then they may have to move to the QT also. But don't assume the clowns are immune, they may just be able to fight it for longer.

:hat:

how is it that the tang can get ich but my clowns show no sign of it

Your guess is as good as anyone elses. Perhaps, as Macatua said, they have a stronger immune system that allows them to fight off the parasite. Or perhaps that have an innate immunity to the parasite and they may never get it.

I second Macatua advise about QT'ing that fish. You will need to monitor the clowns over the next 4 weeks as you are treating the Tang to make sure they don't show signs of the parasite as well.

Get the tang out asap and hope the clowns don't start showing signs of ick. Part of the reason for placing new fish in a quarantine tank is so they can gain strength back before being introduced to a new tank with more fish. Fish are a lot more susceptible to illness and disease when they are weak and stressed out so maybe this is why the tang is the only one that has it.

Back
Top Bottom