Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2003, 09:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

question about ick and reef tanks

i was throughing out all of the freash water things i had that i cant use any more for my tank and i came across quick cures ick cure and it said for fresh water and salt water bare tank only. i dont have ick in my tank(knock on wood) but im wondering if i do ever get it what would i use too cure it? i have 1 candy stripped cleaner shrimp and im getting anouther one tommorow and i know that they will eat the ick but can they cure the ick for all stages of its life or is there some chemical(i realy dont want too use any chemicals in this tank) that is reef safe?

Old 10-02-2003, 09:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is in "quick cure"? Never heard of it...

Old 10-02-2003, 11:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

its a brand of ick med, it has malachie(sp) green in it.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:35 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
i would NOT use it in your tank. There is a reason the lable says "bare tank only' right after saltwater.

If you do get teh urge to use it put the fish that has ick in a qt tank first then dose the qt tank. As a general rule you should never dose the main tank for ick or any other parasite unless there is no other way.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 11:54 PM   #5
steve-s

Quick cure is primarily formaldehyde with a hint of malachite green. Definately nasty stuff. :P

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-03-2003, 05:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

i was never planning on useing it in my tank i dont even have ick in the tank, i was wondering how would ick be removed from a reef tank, i know the cleaner shrimp pick it of the fish but what eats ick when its in its free swimming stage?
Old 10-03-2003, 10:14 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cat
but what eats ick when its in its free swimming stage?
Nothing, only medications will have any effect on theronts once released from the reproductive cyst. They have very little time to find a new host and infect, if unsuccessful within 12-24 hours they will die. The best method to eradicate ick from the main tank is to leave it fallow for at least 4 weeks. Depending on what stage the parasite was at when fish where removed for treatment it can take upto 2-3 weeks for the parasite to finally die off. The extra time is a buffer to be sure there are no "straglers"

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-03-2003, 10:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok, thanx steve-s

Tags
ick, reef, reef tank, reef tanks, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com