question about ick and reef tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e-cat

Aquarium Advice Addict
i was throughing out all of the freash water things i had that i cant use any more for my tank and i came across quick cures ick cure and it said for fresh water and salt water bare tank only. i dont have ick in my tank(knock on wood) but im wondering if i do ever get it what would i use too cure it? i have 1 candy stripped cleaner shrimp and im getting anouther one tommorow and i know that they will eat the ick but can they cure the ick for all stages of its life or is there some chemical(i realy dont want too use any chemicals in this tank) that is reef safe?

i would NOT use it in your tank. There is a reason the lable says "bare tank only' right after saltwater.

If you do get teh urge to use it put the fish that has ick in a qt tank first then dose the qt tank. As a general rule you should never dose the main tank for ick or any other parasite unless there is no other way.

Quick cure is primarily formaldehyde with a hint of malachite green. Definately nasty stuff. :p

Cheers
Steve

i was never planning on useing it in my tank i dont even have ick in the tank, i was wondering how would ick be removed from a reef tank, i know the cleaner shrimp pick it of the fish but what eats ick when its in its free swimming stage?

e-cat said:
but what eats ick when its in its free swimming stage?

Nothing, only medications will have any effect on theronts once released from the reproductive cyst. They have very little time to find a new host and infect, if unsuccessful within 12-24 hours they will die. The best method to eradicate ick from the main tank is to leave it fallow for at least 4 weeks. Depending on what stage the parasite was at when fish where removed for treatment it can take upto 2-3 weeks for the parasite to finally die off. The extra time is a buffer to be sure there are no "straglers"

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom