Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2005, 07:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah, I know I should get a QT. I don't know my water parameters other than the temp and salinity. My LFS told me that all I needed to do was take in a water sample every once in awhile and they would test it for me. I did it like 2 weeks ago, around when I did a water change, and they told me everything was just fine. I really haven't done anything to the tank since then, so I don't know how anything would have really changed. Thanks for the advice!

Old 08-13-2005, 07:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to ogden10
My sincere sympathy
I still remeber the first fish I lost. I felt terrible taking, like I just took it home and killed it.

Remember though, this hobby is all about patience. I have had a few times where I felt like tossing in the towel and putting an iguna in my tank. Bear with it, you will see as time goes on things make more sense, and you will not loose fish. Even the greatest aquarist will suffer loss from time to time. At least you care, and tried to help.

I would spring for a small QT tank. You can get a full setup for like 50.00 and it may save your fish next time.

Old 08-13-2005, 07:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to ogden10
also sometimes fish are just sick when you get them...think about all the trama they go through before they get to your tank. In reality I am surprised that any of them live at all.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:08 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are you feeding the tang? They need a diet with lots of veggies (nori, Formula 2, etc) and being grazing fish they like to eat a LOT... As for the test kits, you should get test kits of your own. Sometimes things change, even though we haven't added anything to the tank. You never know unless you're able to test things yourself.

Whenever anything looks off in the tank the first thing I do is a battery of tests looking for a problem. Good luck.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:11 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
Im sorry about the tang.. I've lost (in my 2 years of marine) about 6 or so fish and one eel.. the fish we're probably due to my inexperience and ignorance of certain specie needs and the eel was unknown. Getting your own test kits as phyl suggested is worth the money. I check my water every week and when something looks funky, even if it is a little more algae growth than normal..

good luck and sorry again

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com