Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2005, 02:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question about my tang. PLEASE HELP!!

My tang that I've had for like 3 weeks now, has decided to wedge himself under a "shelf" in my LR and pretty much stop moving. None of his fins nor his tail are moving. All he's doing is breathing. He will also go to another spot in my LR and sit there nose pointed up and against the LR, doing the same thing. Is he ok? A few times I've had to look closely to make sure he was still alive.

Old 08-13-2005, 03:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Now he's barely even breathing. I think he's dying, is there anything I can do?

Old 08-13-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry to say, it sounds like he's expiring. Any other fish in there with him? What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, salinity, temps? How old is the tank?
Old 08-13-2005, 03:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to ogden10
what type of tang is it? How are the colors? Are there any signs of parasites (ich or ect?)

It may be to late now but there is always hope.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

There are 2 yellow-tail damsels and a algae blenny in there. Temp is 78, salinity is 1.023 (I think it was). The tank is about 4 months old. 75 gal FOWLR. 50 lbs of LR.

Its a convict tang. When he's under the rock, his stripes get really light, but when I move the rock to get him swimming, his colors go back to normal. I've been posting a few times on here about spots I've noticed on him, but nobody really seems to know what it is. There are a few spots on him. I don't know how to describe them, other than to say they look like smudges. Any thoughts?
Old 08-13-2005, 04:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any way you can QT the fish? Sounds bacterial but I can't be certain. Or perhaps marine velvet. If velvet, I would move him to a hospital tank and begin a copper treatment on him. Here is an article on velvet. If it's bacterial, perhaps a few days in melafix may help. None of your other fish show signs of stress or infection?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=46
Old 08-13-2005, 04:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hmm... sounds like that marine velvet might be what he has. I can't be positive though from reading the article. I don't have a QT tank. None of my other fish show any problems at all, just my tang. I think he's pretty close to dead right now, so I'm not sure there is anything I can do at this point, other than hope something happens to turn him around. Its such a shame, he seemed so happy not that long ago
Old 08-13-2005, 06:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sorry.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks. I'm really surprised this is happening, and I feel so helpless not really being able to do anything. This is a very discouraging thing to have happen so early in my "aquarium career" if you will.... Makes me start to think I should have gotten a puppy instead...
Old 08-13-2005, 06:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's a very young tank. You never did say what your parameters were. My first thought was ammonia poisoning. Your other fish aren't showing signs of stress though?
Don't get discouraged. It happens to all of us.
*small reprimand*-I would incourage you to purchase even a small set up (ten gallon) to QT any fish in the future. This isn't all that expensive and can save you a ton of headaches. It would also give you a place to treat fish if needed.

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com