Question about potentially sick toadstool coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

palisaide

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my toadstool coral in my 95 gal tank for about 3 weeks now and it doesn't seem to be doing so well. When I first put it in the tank, it expanded and moved up towards the light. However, I've noticed within the past week it hasn't been expanding or responding to the photo cycle. In addition, the top of the coral has begun to look more shiny. Right now, I have him on the substrate in an area of medium flow and I'm feeding the tank about 1 oz of phytoplankton every 3 days. Are these signs of a sick coral? Should he be moved to an area of less flow or more light? TIA.

Right now my parameters are:
Nitrates: 10
Nitrites: 0
Specific Gravity: 1.025

In my experience, they like a lot of light and a good bit of current. If it is getting shiny, it is probably about to shed. They do this when they get stressed. It has just had a major life change, give it time to adjust.

What else is in the tank? How long has the tank been set up and what kind of lighting go you have? This will help us help you as well.

Hara said:
In my experience, they like a lot of light and a good bit of current. If it is getting shiny, it is probably about to shed. They do this when they get stressed. It has just had a major life change, give it time to adjust.

What else is in the tank? How long has the tank been set up and what kind of lighting go you have? This will help us help you as well.

Thanks for the advice. The tank has been going for about 3 months now with 2x250 HQI and 2x54 T5 lights. Currently, in the tank are:
Powder Blue Tang
Yellow Tang
2 O. Clowns
Flame Angel
B/W Heniochus
Foxface
Longnose Hawkfish
Branching frogspawn coral
Wall hammer coral
Flowerpot coral

Back
Top Bottom