Question about shrimp shedding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
My skunk cleaner shrimp is shedding it skin and I was wondering if they just do nothing when this happens. I just got him like yesterday and now he is chillin in a corner of my tank not moving but I can see that he is shedding. I guess I am asking what happens to shrimp when the shed there skin and if they are active at all during this.

Thanks
Josh

its totally normal for them to do this. i just watched mine molt tonight. they usually do it pretty quickly, but wont move much until they are done. then they do their normal thing and just leave the shedding behind. its really cool to watch tho :D

It is not uncommon not to see them for several days during and after the molt. Their new shell is soft and needs time to harden, until it hardens they are particularly vulnerable.

I watched one of mine shedding for the first time last night - it's REALLY cool to watch!
I'd also noticed something else before but not connected it :- when one of my 3 skunks shed like this, around a couple of hours later all 3 of the skunks go absolutley crazy! They madly 'swim' around the tank, chasing each other (even the newly shed one) - it looks almost like they are celebrating the successful shed! :lol:
After a copule more hours they all settle back down again and carry on with normal life.
Anyone else noticed this behaviour?

i leave mine in sounds kind of sick but i have seen them eat it.
7 year old claims she will never eat shrimp after seeing what they eat 8O

Back
Top Bottom