Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-25-2007, 01:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Question about treating "Velvet"

In the past few weeks, we have had a breakout of Velvet among several of our fish. Already lost our Yellow Tang and a blenny. At first we didn't know what it was, but after careful inspection and some advice from others on here we are pretty sure it is Velvet. We are going to quarantine all infected fish in a 20 gal QT, but would like some additional advice on treatment.

Have read several articles and suggestions from others about hyposalinity and freshwater dips. Some articles have suggested doing a freshwater dip for 5-10 minutes in RO water while carefully watching the fish for stress or problems and then putting them into a QT with SPG b/w 1.013 - 1.010. Since i am not a big fan of chemical treatments (always had bad experiences), I would like to try this but have some reservations about stressing the fish to death, especially in the dip. Here are couple questions:

1. Anyone ever tried the dips and had success?
2. Is it safe for the fish to be dipped and then put straight into a hypo QT immediately? (One article said that this would kill the parasite, but what about the fish.)
3. Is it best to introduce hypo gradually or all at once?
4. Would 20 gal QT be big enough for the following: Coral Beauty Angel (about 3 inch), Tomato Clown (about 2-2.5 inches), Blue Devil (about 2 inches), and 2 Domino Damsels (both about 2 inch)?

Much thanks...

limemittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
1. Dips are IME not successful at all. Most of the fish I have treated with freshwater dips have died shortly after. Those who did survive the dip (and I did them right, the freshwater was the same temp and ph as the aquarium's water) didn't show any miraculous signs of getting better.

2. Again I wouldn't do the dip.

3. You want to slowly lower the salinity. I recommend lower the salinity 1-2 points per day. For example if you have a density of 1.025 you would want to take it down to 1.023 one day 1.021 the next 1.019 until you have reached hypo-salinity.

4. I think as a temporary solution that size tank will be fine.

BTW shoot for a density of 1.009 for hyposalinity and I recommend using a refractometer.

Want a great read check out my debut novel Neptune's Garden: www.neptunesgardenbook.com
macman7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree that FW dips are not that effective. IMO they stress out even more an already stressed out fish causing worse conditions or death. I`ve never had any good results with them or know of anybody else with good results. Here is a good article about QT.

Check out these links on velvet.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, eating, velvet

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com