Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
Question on Sand polyps health.

Well I went out and got some more coral this weekend. I was looking for either a Zienia or star polyp. What I ended up with was a multicolored sand polyp.

Some appear to be green and others red in color. I have had it in my tank for a day now and I am a litle concearned.

In the store not all of the polyps were open but it is typical cause of environment and lighting. However I still have about 40% open and 60% that have not opened up.

Is there somethign wrong? Can I do anyhting to help? Shoudl I be concearned?

Image 1

Image 2

Old 02-26-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sometimes it takes a few days for them to open up. How did you acclimate them? I have a ton of zoanthids in my 120. I just got another small colony the other day. I have had no losses with the drip acclimation process. I float them in their bag for 20 minutes, then I put them in a bucket and use airline tubing to give them a steady drip for 2-3 hours. Once they go into the tank, the open right up.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
I use the drop method.

What I did was remove abotu half the tanks water. I did abotu a 50% water change. After that I let the bag sit and temperature changes occur.

Then I opned the bag and let some tank water in. Then I removed the coral and placed it in the tank. I trust the water from the store I purchase the croal from. There water is probably better than mine.

Some more have opened but not all of them yet. I tried movign the polps but then moved them back to their original location in the tank. I was tryign to get them into a higher flow area. I think they are in a pretty high flow area as is right now and will keep them there to see what happens.

Tags
polyp, polyps, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com