Question on short circuit kill anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

comets55

Aquarium Advice Regular
This morning, I try to help my girlfriend do a water change. When I dip my hand into the water, I feel electricity strike my body....then, all anemones look strange...can anyone tell me are they going to be ok? All anemones eyes/butt became swallen and they release a lot of slimy. What shall we do? Separate the anemones out from the tank before die and pollute the water? Anyway to help them? FYI, all fishes are fine.

Last picture is the picture of the Green Carpet before got strike from electricity.

I asked my girlfriend if she added anything unusual..she said last night she added 1 mini circulation pump to blow anemone..so, we unplug and remove that short circuit pump now.

Attachments

• image-784688989.jpg
    image-784688989.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 113
  • image-97067790.jpg
    image-97067790.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 114
  • image-4066932303.jpg
    image-4066932303.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2338163914.jpg
    image-2338163914.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 102
  • image-3392284432.jpg
    image-3392284432.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 100
They should be OK esp. now that you removed the bad pump. You might want to consider getting a ground probe for your tank. It will remove stray electricity.

melosu58 said:
They should be OK esp. now that you removed the bad pump. You might want to consider getting a ground probe for your tank. It will remove stray electricity.

No you do not want a ground probe, invest in a ground fault plug. With a faulty pump it will have added electricity to the water, it is called "potential" as it has no path out to ground and in this state it is no harm unless you put your hand into the tank or have a ground probe. This will complete the circuit by offering a path to ground and this is when you actually electrocute the tank and it's inhabitants. It's odd because alot of people recommend them but it is a BAD idea. The best way to go is to get a couple gfci plugs or powerbars. Make sure that you have at least one powerhead on each one. If something happens like what you experienced the gfci will trip and stop the electricity flow, this is why you want two so if one trips the other is still running some circulation so things will survive till you can find the problem, this is especially important if it happens when your not home.

Back
Top Bottom