Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question re Ick Treatment for Live Rock in QT tank

Hello,
While inspecting my QT tank last night I noticed that My Purple Tang & Threadfin BF have ick. I plan on treating the problem with Cupramine. My question however falls upon the two pieces of live rock I have in my QT tank that I took out of the main display. I assume that they should now be considered "infected" and can not be put back into the main tank without some form of sterilization. I also have read that the copper treatment would be detrimental to the health of the live rock, so I can not keep it in the QT while treating the ich either. So what do I do? Can I give the live rock a freshwater or medicated dip and then put it back in my main tank? Or do I have to move the rock to a 5 gallon bucket for 6-8 weeks to ensure that if there is ick on the rocks it will starve off?

If a freshwater or medicated dip is sufficient, how many minutes can the live rock handle in the solution? Thanks in advance for your help.

Shaun

Old 05-19-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I'm not sure on the medication, but the only thing that should really be in a QT is some PVC for hiding.
Some one w/more experience can give you better advice on the "treatment" of your LR. It is a good assumption that your LR is now infected.

Props on the QT and placing you new fish there. You have saved yourself a huge amount of hassle!!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yes, adding the live rock to the QT was a mistake. I just wanted to see the threadfin eat the aptasia's on the live rock, which it did. I guess now I will pay for my impatience. The positive thing is that both the BF and Purple Tang are eating and I have not seen any flashing or scratching (although I have been at work all day). I am just praying for my fish to make it through ok. I would feel horrible if they die, they are both so beautiful. Plus, this was the first Purple Tang I saw in my LFS in months. Thanks for the response.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:59 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
I guess now I will pay for my impatience.
I did the same thing, when I started up my QT, so don't feel bad! LOL!!

If it was a lot of LR, you could, maybe, "recure" it (would say, this might take 8 weeks or so, for the ich (tomites?) to die off. But, I have never done this and you may want to see what others have to say....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would put the rock in a bucket for 8 weeks. Do not treat your QT with the LR in it or you wont be able to use it in your main again.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

your right for assuming the rock is infected. If your looking to get the rock back in the tank quick you could boil it to kill off anything on the lr. Or wait the 8 weeks in a bucket with a ph for circulation. Having not had to deal with ich I can only assue that boiling would kill it off.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, ick, live, live rock, qt tank, rock, tan, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com